Aug 9, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Scott Baker had elbow surgery shortly after the end of last season, spent time on the disabled list in July, and has been very successfully pitching through various levels of discomfort for much of this year, but it sounds like the pain may finally be too much.
Baker allowed five runs in six innings against the Red Sox last night, serving up multiple homers for the first time since June 6, and afterward revealed to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the elbow problems may have progressed past the point of tolerable:
I have no problem pitching with some discomfort as long as it’s something that’s not going to get worse. I’m OK being a little sore, but if you’re not effective because of it, then that’s a different story. So we’ve got some things to talk through. It’s not as bad as it initially was. It’s just really kind of lingered for a while, and it takes a lot of work to get loose. I guess there’s never an ideal time for this. It’s never easy, but you don’t want to be that guy that has to go on the DL, if that’s the decision they make.
Baker’s velocity has slipped in recent outings and he failed to make it beyond the third inning last week, so with the Twins rapidly plummeting out of the playoff picture it makes sense to play it safe. In between the elbow soreness he has a 3.21 ERA and 120/32 K/BB ratio in 132 innings and if healthy is a bargain for the Twins at $6.5 million in 2012 with a $9.25 million option in 2013.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 11
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)