Aug 9, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
The overall OPS leaderboard is filled with familiar names as Jose Bautista, Matt Holliday, Lance Berkman, Prince Fielder, and Miguel Cabrera hold the top five spots, but the OPS leaderboard since the All-Star break has a few more surprises:
Mike Napoli 1.329 Hideki Matsui 1.214 Troy Tulowitzki 1.139 Omar Infante 1.099 Dan Uggla 1.070 Michael Morse 1.057 Jesus Guzman 1.047 Shane Victorino 1.025 Edwin Encarnacion 1.023 Dustin Pedroia 1.022
Mike Napoli has been fantastic all season for the Rangers, hitting .299 with 18 homers and a 1.009 OPS in 71 games while the catcher the Angels always preferred over him, Jeff Mathis, is batting .181.
Hideki Matsui has come alive after a terrible first half, showing that he still has some gas left in the tank at age 37, while Omar Infante’s turnaround is on hold thanks to a broken finger.
To get a feel for just how awful Dan Uggla was early on this season, consider that he’s currently riding a 29-game hitting streak and ranks fifth among all MLB hitters with a 1.070 OPS since the All-Star break, yet is batting just .220 with a .716 OPS overall.
Michael Morse has quietly emerged as one of the best hitters in the National League dating back to beginning of last season, batting .309 with 34 homers and a .904 OPS in 688 plate appearances for the Nationals during that time.
Jesus Guzman might be the most unlikely name on the second-half leaderboard, because he’s a 27-year-old journeyman and career minor leaguer … and he’s doing all that damage while calling Petco Park home.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 31
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 6
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)