The Braves could skip Tommy Hanson in the rotation this week

Aug 9, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT

Tommy Hanson Getty Images

Drew asked the other day, “What’s the Deal With Tommy Hanson?” Well, we’re about to find out.

According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez and pitching coach Roger McDowell plan to talk with Hanson to determine whether he needs to be skipped in the rotation or have his scheduled Friday start pushed back.

Hanson gave up a season-high seven runs over 3 1/3 innings in Saturday’s loss to the Mets and has an 8.10 ERA over his first five starts since the All-Star break. While he has struck out 33 batters over 26 2/3 innings during the same timespan, he has shown diminished velocity in recent starts. Hanson declined to discuss whether he was having any issues with his shoulder following Saturday’s outing, but he previously went on the disabled list in June with right rotator cuff tendinitis.

The Braves have a scheduled off-day on Thursday, so they could skip Hanson and use rookie left-hander Mike Minor on regular rest Friday against the Cubs.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I thought that it was the Phillies rotation that was so old and decrepit that they were going to be broken down before the end of August? Seems to me it’s mostly the young ‘uns who are breaking down while Doc, Lee and Hamels just continue to dominate.

My under on the Braves 87 1/2 win total is looking much better. Now if the Marlins can just pull together another win streak, they can finish at 82 wins and make me a winner instead of pushing. Either way, it’s going to be an interesting finish for my two total win bets…I’m glad I made those bets. Otherwise, it would be a pretty boring finish just to see how many games the Phillies win the division by.

• cull1224 - Aug 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM

WHAT? We get an article about Hansen pitching like c—p the past 2 months, only to be followed up by a comment about some shlub’s NL East’s win totals??? Who cares a whit about that?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM

You cared enough to hit “post comment”.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 9, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Furthermore, since Craig is on vacation and there is no “And That Happened” and these other guys haven’t posted a “Settling the Score” there is no thread encompassing baseball in general. Hence, things that are tangential to the original thread are going to get posted.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

cull1224, I am NOT just some “shlub”…I am THE shlub pal. I even have a commenter who is named after my rash. I don’t see any “cull1224’s rash” posting anywhere around here.

Also, dr is right..since Craig seems to be the only person on HBT who knows how to type the words “And That Happened” and put in the previous night’s results with something witty about each one, I am forced to go where I can to post.

Don’t be angry at me because your team’s pitching staff is crumbling, your team has fallen out of the division race, and your team’s hold on the Wild Card is precarious.

• 5thbase - Aug 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Under on an 87.5 win total is looking terrible there bud. You some kind of Phillies homer or something? The team with the second best record in the league finishing out the year 20-26 while playing 4 more games at home than on the road doesn’t look good at all for you.

And speaking of the Phillies, it’s going to be pretty funny watching all that money on the mound losing games 1-0, 2-1, 3-1 come playoff time. It’s like the teams the Braves used to build that would roll through the regular season with the best record but then they couldn’t score runs and didn’t get to hit against other teams’ 4th and 5th starters. Utley is the only guy without huge holes in his swing. It’s going to be pretty ugly for you.

2. jamaicanjasta - Aug 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Just a quick comment, Chris, I think your last paragraph is a pretty good display of hyperbole so let’s be fair. The Braves have the second best record in the NL, the fourth best record in the Majors and have gained 2 games in the Wild Card in the last 2-3 days (I think). So yes, the Phillies are an outstanding team this year, but it also doesn’t magically make the Braves a terrible one with their current record.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3145)