Aug 9, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
Kevin Slowey has been in the Twins’ doghouse all season because he didn’t take well to becoming a reliever when demoted from the rotation during spring training, but after spending several months in the minors he’s back in Minnesota to replace the injured Scott Baker.
As expected, Baker was placed on the disabled list with ongoing elbow problems. Initially the Twins indicated that Anthony Swarzak would get the nod if a rotation replacement was needed, but instead they called up Slowey. His first start will come Sunday against the Indians.
I’ve criticized the Twins’ handling of Slowey, from choosing Nick Blackburn and Brian Duensing over him for rotation spots to tearing him down through the media when he reacted poorly to the prospect of becoming a reliever after four successful seasons as a starter. With that said, it’s good to see them finally giving him another chance. For whatever faults Slowey has and however much blame he deserves for the negative situation, he’s a 27-year-old with a 4.42 ERA as a starter and the Twins can use the help.
Slowey was one of the Twins’ five best starters back in March and he’s one of the Twins’ five best starters now. Of course, if he pitches well in place of Baker the Twins would surely listen to trade offers on Slowey.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 50
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)