Aug 9, 2011, 9:10 PM EST
At least not yet, anyway.
According to Tyler Mason of FOXSportsNorth.com, Twins prospect right-hander Kyle Gibson was diagnosed with a flexor pronator muscle strain of the right elbow and a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament. He will report to the Twins’ complex in Fort Myers, Florida this week in an effort to rehab the injury, but his season is effectively over.
Gibson, 23, originally fell to the Twins at No. 22 in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft due to a stress fracture in his forearm. After posting an impressive 2.96 ERA and 126/39 K/BB ratio over 26 starts in his first pro season between High-A Fort Myers, Double-A New Britain and Triple-A Rochester last year, he entered this season as the Twins’ No. 1 prospect.
There was talk of Gibson making his major league debut at some point this season, but after posting a 3.60 ERA and 59 strikeouts over 55 innings with Triple-A Rochester through the end of May, he went 0-5 with a 6.47 ERA and 32 strikeouts over 40 1/3 innings before being shut down with elbow soreness last week.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)