Aug 9, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
At least not yet, anyway.
According to Tyler Mason of FOXSportsNorth.com, Twins prospect right-hander Kyle Gibson was diagnosed with a flexor pronator muscle strain of the right elbow and a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament. He will report to the Twins’ complex in Fort Myers, Florida this week in an effort to rehab the injury, but his season is effectively over.
Gibson, 23, originally fell to the Twins at No. 22 in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft due to a stress fracture in his forearm. After posting an impressive 2.96 ERA and 126/39 K/BB ratio over 26 starts in his first pro season between High-A Fort Myers, Double-A New Britain and Triple-A Rochester last year, he entered this season as the Twins’ No. 1 prospect.
There was talk of Gibson making his major league debut at some point this season, but after posting a 3.60 ERA and 59 strikeouts over 55 innings with Triple-A Rochester through the end of May, he went 0-5 with a 6.47 ERA and 32 strikeouts over 40 1/3 innings before being shut down with elbow soreness last week.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)