Aug 9, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
At least not yet, anyway.
According to Tyler Mason of FOXSportsNorth.com, Twins prospect right-hander Kyle Gibson was diagnosed with a flexor pronator muscle strain of the right elbow and a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament. He will report to the Twins’ complex in Fort Myers, Florida this week in an effort to rehab the injury, but his season is effectively over.
Gibson, 23, originally fell to the Twins at No. 22 in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft due to a stress fracture in his forearm. After posting an impressive 2.96 ERA and 126/39 K/BB ratio over 26 starts in his first pro season between High-A Fort Myers, Double-A New Britain and Triple-A Rochester last year, he entered this season as the Twins’ No. 1 prospect.
There was talk of Gibson making his major league debut at some point this season, but after posting a 3.60 ERA and 59 strikeouts over 55 innings with Triple-A Rochester through the end of May, he went 0-5 with a 6.47 ERA and 32 strikeouts over 40 1/3 innings before being shut down with elbow soreness last week.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)