Aug 9, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
At least not yet, anyway.
According to Tyler Mason of FOXSportsNorth.com, Twins prospect right-hander Kyle Gibson was diagnosed with a flexor pronator muscle strain of the right elbow and a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament. He will report to the Twins’ complex in Fort Myers, Florida this week in an effort to rehab the injury, but his season is effectively over.
Gibson, 23, originally fell to the Twins at No. 22 in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft due to a stress fracture in his forearm. After posting an impressive 2.96 ERA and 126/39 K/BB ratio over 26 starts in his first pro season between High-A Fort Myers, Double-A New Britain and Triple-A Rochester last year, he entered this season as the Twins’ No. 1 prospect.
There was talk of Gibson making his major league debut at some point this season, but after posting a 3.60 ERA and 59 strikeouts over 55 innings with Triple-A Rochester through the end of May, he went 0-5 with a 6.47 ERA and 32 strikeouts over 40 1/3 innings before being shut down with elbow soreness last week.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (141)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (140)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)