Aug 9, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
Tonight has been a pretty interesting night in that we have seen some excellent performances from pitchers who were written off a long time ago.
Let’s start with Dontrelle Willis. Even though he took the loss tonight against the Rockies, he allowed three runs over eight innings while striking out 10 and walking just one. This was the first time he had went at least eight innings or reached double-digits in strikeouts since the 2007 season. Always handy with the bat, he also hit an RBI triple.
Chien-Ming Wang was just pulled after tossing six shutout innings against the Cubs. Relying primarily on his sinker, he didn’t give up his first hit until Tony Campana beat out an infield single to begin the top of the sixth. Wang struck out just one and walked two, but induced 11 ground balls. This was his first scoreless start since he infamously tore a ligament in his right foot while running the bases against the Astros on June 15, 2008. UPDATE: The Nats topped the Cubs 3-1, so Wang has earned his first win since June 29, 2009.
And we shouldn’t forget about Rich Harden, either. He just spun seven innings of one-run ball against the Blue Jays, striking out eight and walking a pair. Though the Red Sox were understandably turned off by his medical records before the trade deadline, the oft-injured right-hander has a 4.07 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio over 42 innings this season.
Yes, for one night at least, we have all been transported back to 2005.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)