Aug 9, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
Tonight has been a pretty interesting night in that we have seen some excellent performances from pitchers who were written off a long time ago.
Let’s start with Dontrelle Willis. Even though he took the loss tonight against the Rockies, he allowed three runs over eight innings while striking out 10 and walking just one. This was the first time he had went at least eight innings or reached double-digits in strikeouts since the 2007 season. Always handy with the bat, he also hit an RBI triple.
Chien-Ming Wang was just pulled after tossing six shutout innings against the Cubs. Relying primarily on his sinker, he didn’t give up his first hit until Tony Campana beat out an infield single to begin the top of the sixth. Wang struck out just one and walked two, but induced 11 ground balls. This was his first scoreless start since he infamously tore a ligament in his right foot while running the bases against the Astros on June 15, 2008. UPDATE: The Nats topped the Cubs 3-1, so Wang has earned his first win since June 29, 2009.
And we shouldn’t forget about Rich Harden, either. He just spun seven innings of one-run ball against the Blue Jays, striking out eight and walking a pair. Though the Red Sox were understandably turned off by his medical records before the trade deadline, the oft-injured right-hander has a 4.07 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio over 42 innings this season.
Yes, for one night at least, we have all been transported back to 2005.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)