Aug 10, 2011, 7:51 PM EDT
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb was sent to the hospital after his most recent outing due to an odd numbness in his throwing hand.
Doctors found nothing wrong initially, but further tests this week revealed “blockage” near the first rib on the right side of his body.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Cobb will have it all fixed through a season-ending surgical procedure Friday at the Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.
Cobb, 23, posted a 3.42 ERA and 37/21 K/BB ratio over his first 52 2/3 major league innings this season. He had a 1.87 ERA and a 70/16 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 frames at Triple-A Durham before his promotion.
The Rays are fully expecting Cobb to be ready for the start of spring training next February.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)