Aug 10, 2011, 7:51 PM EDT
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb was sent to the hospital after his most recent outing due to an odd numbness in his throwing hand.
Doctors found nothing wrong initially, but further tests this week revealed “blockage” near the first rib on the right side of his body.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Cobb will have it all fixed through a season-ending surgical procedure Friday at the Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.
Cobb, 23, posted a 3.42 ERA and 37/21 K/BB ratio over his first 52 2/3 major league innings this season. He had a 1.87 ERA and a 70/16 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 frames at Triple-A Durham before his promotion.
The Rays are fully expecting Cobb to be ready for the start of spring training next February.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)