Aug 10, 2011, 7:51 PM EST
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb was sent to the hospital after his most recent outing due to an odd numbness in his throwing hand.
Doctors found nothing wrong initially, but further tests this week revealed “blockage” near the first rib on the right side of his body.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Cobb will have it all fixed through a season-ending surgical procedure Friday at the Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.
Cobb, 23, posted a 3.42 ERA and 37/21 K/BB ratio over his first 52 2/3 major league innings this season. He had a 1.87 ERA and a 70/16 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 frames at Triple-A Durham before his promotion.
The Rays are fully expecting Cobb to be ready for the start of spring training next February.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 68
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 37
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)