Aug 10, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
So, Alex Anthopoulous is going the J.P. Arencibia route.
Mike Cormack of Sportsnet.ca has all of the quotes as the Blue Jays GM addressed the media Wednesday to respond to an ESPN story accusing the team of using someone in the center-field stands to steal signs.
Anthopoulous opened by saying, “This whole thing is stupid. It’s unbelievable that we’re even sitting here.”
The general manager went on to accuse ESPN of failing to do its homework, and he said the story has a lot of holes in it. He asked ESPN to find someone formerly connected with the Blue Jays to try to back the story up, and that ESPN either didn’t try to do so or failed to come up with a former player or employee willing to contribute to the story.
Meanwhile, the National Post’s John Lott got Jose Bautista to speak briefly. Bautista said the encounter detailed within ESPN’s article happened during a White Sox game. So add the White Sox to the list of teams, which includes the Red Sox and Yankees, that believe the Jays are cheating.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)