Aug 10, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
So, Alex Anthopoulous is going the J.P. Arencibia route.
Mike Cormack of Sportsnet.ca has all of the quotes as the Blue Jays GM addressed the media Wednesday to respond to an ESPN story accusing the team of using someone in the center-field stands to steal signs.
Anthopoulous opened by saying, “This whole thing is stupid. It’s unbelievable that we’re even sitting here.”
The general manager went on to accuse ESPN of failing to do its homework, and he said the story has a lot of holes in it. He asked ESPN to find someone formerly connected with the Blue Jays to try to back the story up, and that ESPN either didn’t try to do so or failed to come up with a former player or employee willing to contribute to the story.
Meanwhile, the National Post’s John Lott got Jose Bautista to speak briefly. Bautista said the encounter detailed within ESPN’s article happened during a White Sox game. So add the White Sox to the list of teams, which includes the Red Sox and Yankees, that believe the Jays are cheating.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (111)