Aug 10, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
So, Alex Anthopoulous is going the J.P. Arencibia route.
Mike Cormack of Sportsnet.ca has all of the quotes as the Blue Jays GM addressed the media Wednesday to respond to an ESPN story accusing the team of using someone in the center-field stands to steal signs.
Anthopoulous opened by saying, “This whole thing is stupid. It’s unbelievable that we’re even sitting here.”
The general manager went on to accuse ESPN of failing to do its homework, and he said the story has a lot of holes in it. He asked ESPN to find someone formerly connected with the Blue Jays to try to back the story up, and that ESPN either didn’t try to do so or failed to come up with a former player or employee willing to contribute to the story.
Meanwhile, the National Post’s John Lott got Jose Bautista to speak briefly. Bautista said the encounter detailed within ESPN’s article happened during a White Sox game. So add the White Sox to the list of teams, which includes the Red Sox and Yankees, that believe the Jays are cheating.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11