Aug 10, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
So, Alex Anthopoulous is going the J.P. Arencibia route.
Mike Cormack of Sportsnet.ca has all of the quotes as the Blue Jays GM addressed the media Wednesday to respond to an ESPN story accusing the team of using someone in the center-field stands to steal signs.
Anthopoulous opened by saying, “This whole thing is stupid. It’s unbelievable that we’re even sitting here.”
The general manager went on to accuse ESPN of failing to do its homework, and he said the story has a lot of holes in it. He asked ESPN to find someone formerly connected with the Blue Jays to try to back the story up, and that ESPN either didn’t try to do so or failed to come up with a former player or employee willing to contribute to the story.
Meanwhile, the National Post’s John Lott got Jose Bautista to speak briefly. Bautista said the encounter detailed within ESPN’s article happened during a White Sox game. So add the White Sox to the list of teams, which includes the Red Sox and Yankees, that believe the Jays are cheating.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)