Aug 10, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
So, Alex Anthopoulous is going the J.P. Arencibia route.
Mike Cormack of Sportsnet.ca has all of the quotes as the Blue Jays GM addressed the media Wednesday to respond to an ESPN story accusing the team of using someone in the center-field stands to steal signs.
Anthopoulous opened by saying, “This whole thing is stupid. It’s unbelievable that we’re even sitting here.”
The general manager went on to accuse ESPN of failing to do its homework, and he said the story has a lot of holes in it. He asked ESPN to find someone formerly connected with the Blue Jays to try to back the story up, and that ESPN either didn’t try to do so or failed to come up with a former player or employee willing to contribute to the story.
Meanwhile, the National Post’s John Lott got Jose Bautista to speak briefly. Bautista said the encounter detailed within ESPN’s article happened during a White Sox game. So add the White Sox to the list of teams, which includes the Red Sox and Yankees, that believe the Jays are cheating.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)