Aug 10, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Giving up a prospect as good as Zack Wheeler for Carlos Beltran was costly enough for the Giants when they thought they’d have him for 60 games, but a wrist injury has him out of the lineup today for the third straight game.
Beltran hit just .244 with a .616 OPS in 11 games for the Giants before spraining his right wrist Sunday afternoon. Nate Schierholtz, who had been subbing for Beltran, is also banged up, so today’s outfield is Aaron Rowand, Andres Torres, and Cody Ross.
San Francisco has tomorrow off, so the Giants are hoping he’ll be healthy enough to rejoin the lineup Friday against the Marlins. And if not, a disabled list stint might be required.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)