Aug 10, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Giving up a prospect as good as Zack Wheeler for Carlos Beltran was costly enough for the Giants when they thought they’d have him for 60 games, but a wrist injury has him out of the lineup today for the third straight game.
Beltran hit just .244 with a .616 OPS in 11 games for the Giants before spraining his right wrist Sunday afternoon. Nate Schierholtz, who had been subbing for Beltran, is also banged up, so today’s outfield is Aaron Rowand, Andres Torres, and Cody Ross.
San Francisco has tomorrow off, so the Giants are hoping he’ll be healthy enough to rejoin the lineup Friday against the Marlins. And if not, a disabled list stint might be required.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (184)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (86)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)