Aug 10, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Giving up a prospect as good as Zack Wheeler for Carlos Beltran was costly enough for the Giants when they thought they’d have him for 60 games, but a wrist injury has him out of the lineup today for the third straight game.
Beltran hit just .244 with a .616 OPS in 11 games for the Giants before spraining his right wrist Sunday afternoon. Nate Schierholtz, who had been subbing for Beltran, is also banged up, so today’s outfield is Aaron Rowand, Andres Torres, and Cody Ross.
San Francisco has tomorrow off, so the Giants are hoping he’ll be healthy enough to rejoin the lineup Friday against the Marlins. And if not, a disabled list stint might be required.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 329
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 66
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 43
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (331)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (160)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)