Aug 10, 2011, 9:54 PM EST
The second homer gave him a new career high with 47 games left to play. He hit 30 homers in 160 games in his final year with the Tigers in 2009.
Granderson had already long blown past his career high for RBI. He knocked in four more runs tonight, giving him 91 RBI for the season. His previous high-water point was 74 in 2007.
Granderson, though, still has a ways to go in runs scored. Even though he leads the majors with 104 runs scored — 20 more than Jacoby Ellsbury in second place — he’s 18 short of matching his high total of 122, also from 2007.
Besides new highs in homers, RBI and likely runs and OPS this season, Granderson could also set a personal best in steals. He’s at 22 right now, leaving him four shy of his total from 2007. He also needs 14 walks to match his high of 72 from 2009.
But tonight wasn’t all about Granderson: Robinson Cano missed the cycle by a single and rookie Ivan Nova improved to 7-0 in his last eight starts. The Yankees also beat a pitcher making his major league debut for the first time in seven tries. Granderson’s three-run homer off young Angels right-hander Garrett Richards set the tone in the first, and the Yankees ended up knocking him around for six runs in five innings.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 21
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)