Aug 10, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
The big foam fingers at Dodger Stadium might have a different digit raised next season.
With attendence well down at Chavez Ravine, Facility Merchandising Inc. isn’t feeling so good about the eight-year deal it signed with the Dodgers prior to the 2010 season. It’s asked the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to intervene on its behalf as the Dodgers continue their bankruptcy proceedings.
FMI’s deal with the Dodgers guarantees it a minimum of $4.5 million per year through 2017, but the company claims it will lose about $2.5 million over the first two seasons of the agreement. Now the company is worried that the potential for future gains could be wiped out by the Dodgers walking away from the contract, something that could happen through bankruptcy law. According to the Los Angeles Times, FMI wants the Dodgers to decide whether to honor or reject the contract by the end of the season, before the company has to make this year’s payments to the Dodgers and buy next year’s merchandise.
The Dodgers argued in a court filing that FMI in leveraging the bankruptcy to try to redo the contract, with included no attendence benchmarks. Dodger Stadium merchandise revenue is down 25 percent this year, but there’s nothing in the agreement to protect FMI against such a decline.
A hearing is set for Aug. 16.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)