Fired scouting director on Angels GM Tony Reagins: “He’s not a guy I’d want to hang out with”

Aug 10, 2011, 5:11 PM EST

eddie bane

When the Angels fired longtime scouting director Eddie Bane back in October the reason given was an unhappiness with the team’s recent drafts.

That seemed somewhat difficult to believe given that, among other solid prospects, stud outfielder Mike Trout was a product of the 2009 draft after 24 other teams passed on him.

And sure enough Bane, who now works for the Tigers, told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he believes the actual reason behind his firing was a poor relationship with general manager Tony Reagins:

Tony and I don’t like each other. I don’t think that’s a reason to get fired. Personality clashes are never any fun. I don’t blame him for thinking I’m not the greatest guy in the world. He’s not a guy I would want to hang out with. I’m sure he feels the same way about me. He told me, “I’m not happy with the last three drafts.” That’s ludicrous.

In addition to Trout “the last three drafts” also produced Tyler Chatwood, who’s in the Angels’ rotation, Garrett Richards, who was just called up to join the Angels’ rotation, and Tyler Skaggs, who was part of the package that went to Arizona for Dan Haren.

In other words, Bane (or Reagins) must have been extremely tough to get along with, because he was a pretty solid scouting director.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Aug 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM

“Thanks for Trout – but you’re a douche, so it’s time to go FISHING for a Scouting Director that brings me my morning latte!”

2. SmackSaw - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Eddie was the Bane of Reagin’s existence.

3. scottp9 - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM

It’s a wonder that Reagins still has his job given the annual free agent snafus (losing out on Crawford, Beltre, Teixeira, Sabathia, etc.), bad trades (Wells, Kazmir), and either the misevaluation or poor development of so many supposed top prospects.

• JBerardi - Aug 10, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I agree he’s been a poor GM… and yet somewhere in there, he pulls off the Dan Haren trade. Think the Diamondbacks want that one back?

• scottp9 - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Perhaps, but the D-Backs were intent upon dumping salary and I doubt that they thought they were getting equal value back for Haren. I don’t give GMs credit for winning salary-dump deals with poorer franchises simply because they can afford the bigger contract.

• Kevin S. - Aug 11, 2011 at 7:26 AM

We’re giving Reagins credit for the D’backs being impressed by Sauders’ shiny win totals? The targeted an inferior pitcher because they’re stuck in a twentieth-century mode of player analysis.

• brianc6234 - Aug 11, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Out of everything you listed the only one I disagree with is the Wells trade. That was horrible. Way too much money. He couldn’t get $20 million back in the deal? And he threw Napoli away who the Blue Jays traded to the team the Angels need to beat in their division. The Blue Jays got Reagins twice on that one. Horrible.

The Kazmir trade ended up being bad but he was good in 2009. He wasn’t good in the playoffs and after that but who saw that coming? The Angels had to get some pitching help. Adenhart was killed by a drunk and they had a lot of injuries to pitchers.

As for Teixeira, Crawford and Beltre, I wouldn’t give anyone the number of years they got. Free agents are already getting old. Do you want one of them for six or seven years? Torii was given one too many years when he got five years. The Angels need to start developing their own hitters like they’ve been doing with pitching.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5073)