Aug 10, 2011, 5:11 PM EST
When the Angels fired longtime scouting director Eddie Bane back in October the reason given was an unhappiness with the team’s recent drafts.
That seemed somewhat difficult to believe given that, among other solid prospects, stud outfielder Mike Trout was a product of the 2009 draft after 24 other teams passed on him.
And sure enough Bane, who now works for the Tigers, told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he believes the actual reason behind his firing was a poor relationship with general manager Tony Reagins:
Tony and I don’t like each other. I don’t think that’s a reason to get fired. Personality clashes are never any fun. I don’t blame him for thinking I’m not the greatest guy in the world. He’s not a guy I would want to hang out with. I’m sure he feels the same way about me. He told me, “I’m not happy with the last three drafts.” That’s ludicrous.
In addition to Trout “the last three drafts” also produced Tyler Chatwood, who’s in the Angels’ rotation, Garrett Richards, who was just called up to join the Angels’ rotation, and Tyler Skaggs, who was part of the package that went to Arizona for Dan Haren.
In other words, Bane (or Reagins) must have been extremely tough to get along with, because he was a pretty solid scouting director.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (187)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)