Aug 10, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
When the Angels fired longtime scouting director Eddie Bane back in October the reason given was an unhappiness with the team’s recent drafts.
That seemed somewhat difficult to believe given that, among other solid prospects, stud outfielder Mike Trout was a product of the 2009 draft after 24 other teams passed on him.
And sure enough Bane, who now works for the Tigers, told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he believes the actual reason behind his firing was a poor relationship with general manager Tony Reagins:
Tony and I don’t like each other. I don’t think that’s a reason to get fired. Personality clashes are never any fun. I don’t blame him for thinking I’m not the greatest guy in the world. He’s not a guy I would want to hang out with. I’m sure he feels the same way about me. He told me, “I’m not happy with the last three drafts.” That’s ludicrous.
In addition to Trout “the last three drafts” also produced Tyler Chatwood, who’s in the Angels’ rotation, Garrett Richards, who was just called up to join the Angels’ rotation, and Tyler Skaggs, who was part of the package that went to Arizona for Dan Haren.
In other words, Bane (or Reagins) must have been extremely tough to get along with, because he was a pretty solid scouting director.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 7
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)