Aug 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Brewers left-hander Chris Narveson will miss at least one start after slicing his hand open and needing eight stitches last night in what he described as “the freakiest thing.”
Narveson grabbed a pair of scissors and was altering the laces on his glove when he cut the tip of his left thumb, telling Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
I was just fixing my glove. I guess the screw on the end of the thing between the scissors was sticking through the bolt a little bit, I had my thumb up there and ran it across. Next thing, I look down and I’ve got a gash in my thumb. The doctor was here and he was able to come up and stitch it up right away, so we got it taken care of. Now, it’s how fast can you heal?
Narveson has been a solid mid-rotation starter for the Brewers, tossing 132 innings with a 4.49 ERA and 109/49 K/BB ratio, but his next scheduled outing Friday against the Pirates has already been ruled out and it’s possible he may wind up on the disabled list.
And you can be sure he’ll never try to mess with his glove again.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)