Aug 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Brewers left-hander Chris Narveson will miss at least one start after slicing his hand open and needing eight stitches last night in what he described as “the freakiest thing.”
Narveson grabbed a pair of scissors and was altering the laces on his glove when he cut the tip of his left thumb, telling Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
I was just fixing my glove. I guess the screw on the end of the thing between the scissors was sticking through the bolt a little bit, I had my thumb up there and ran it across. Next thing, I look down and I’ve got a gash in my thumb. The doctor was here and he was able to come up and stitch it up right away, so we got it taken care of. Now, it’s how fast can you heal?
Narveson has been a solid mid-rotation starter for the Brewers, tossing 132 innings with a 4.49 ERA and 109/49 K/BB ratio, but his next scheduled outing Friday against the Pirates has already been ruled out and it’s possible he may wind up on the disabled list.
And you can be sure he’ll never try to mess with his glove again.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 105
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 17
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 38
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 41
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 351
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (352)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (193)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)