Aug 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Brewers left-hander Chris Narveson will miss at least one start after slicing his hand open and needing eight stitches last night in what he described as “the freakiest thing.”
Narveson grabbed a pair of scissors and was altering the laces on his glove when he cut the tip of his left thumb, telling Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
I was just fixing my glove. I guess the screw on the end of the thing between the scissors was sticking through the bolt a little bit, I had my thumb up there and ran it across. Next thing, I look down and I’ve got a gash in my thumb. The doctor was here and he was able to come up and stitch it up right away, so we got it taken care of. Now, it’s how fast can you heal?
Narveson has been a solid mid-rotation starter for the Brewers, tossing 132 innings with a 4.49 ERA and 109/49 K/BB ratio, but his next scheduled outing Friday against the Pirates has already been ruled out and it’s possible he may wind up on the disabled list.
And you can be sure he’ll never try to mess with his glove again.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)