J.P. Arencibia laughs off sign-stealing allegations on Twitter

Aug 10, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

J.P. Arencibia, Jo-Jo Reyes AP

Catcher J.P. Arencibia, one of the few Blue Jays not performing significantly better at home than on the road this season, is none too happy about the ESPN report claiming his team has been using a person in the center-field stands to steal signs over the last two years.

Here are his tweets from this afternoon:

Just read the dumbest article on ESPN about us getting signs? I’m hitting 200 and we get signs at home, that makes sense? #clowns

Teams/pitchers need to accept when we kick their ass in the rogers centre n not give excuses… Looks like we had verlanders signs #nohitter

What’s next? Man on CN Tower edge walk was seen relaying signs to bluejay hitters.. #clowns

Arencibia apparently doesn’t have much to offer besides insults to what was a well written ESPN piece.  Again, four players, while remaining anonymous, chimed in on catching the apparent sign-stealing in the act and it’s not as though this is something ESPN has just dreamed up: both the Red Sox and Yankees believe there’s something going on at Rogers Centre and have adjusted their catcher signals accordingly.

Arencibia himself certainly hasn’t taken advantage of any home cooking this year.  Like he said, he’s hitting .194 at home, compared to .234 on the road.  His 18 homers have been split evenly between home and road games.

Then again, maybe Arencibia simply can’t see the signals allegedly being offered in center.  He can hit the ball a long way when he gets ahold of one, but with a .207 average and 109 strikeouts in 348 at-bats as a major leaguer, it’s possible his eyesight isn’t what Jose Bautista‘s is.  Take exhibit A: his aim with the Powerade cooler was well off.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Maybe he would be hitting .170 without the sign stealing? #clown

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

maybe you should stop with the comments for today #idiot

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

LOL…I apologize for offending you and your Toronto Blue Jays players. I forgot that they all walk on water.

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:47 PM

this is the last time Im gonna respond, your exponentially increasing stupidity has made it unnecessary and I think the votes support that. again, go away now please

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

You are probably the single dumbest poster I have ever debated. I said the same thing over and over and over and then when you finally comprehended what I was saying, you agreed with me. Your verbal assaults are ridiculous and your Jays-tinted glasses make you sound beyond stupid. And if you really think that thumbs downs or thumbs ups mean anything on this site, then you are even dumber than you seem. You “go away now” dumbass.

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

the fact that you say that and believe it is so ridiculous but at the same time understandable (its because youre an idiot). I dont take a lot of stock in that feature but it makes me happy to know Im not the only one that thinks you are a complete idiot. I know I said it before but this really is the last time. I feel almost as stupid as you are for carrying this on for so long

• jamie54 - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Maybe he just can’t see that far. Apparently can’t see with that BA so why would he be able to see signs from CF? Hey, it’s a theory. Laughable. Much to do about nothing. It’s out there now in the public eye, everyone will be looking for it, it’ll disappear.

2. derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

“What’s next? Man on CN Tower edge walk was seen relaying signs to bluejay hitters.. ”

thats awesome, atta boy JP

pretty sure Jose bashes HRs everywhere he goes, is it such an anomaly that an elite player has better numbers at home? nothing will come of this Im sure

3. FC - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:47 PM

You know Matt, you should move on, that’s three (count ‘em) posts in one day about pretty much nothing. There’s no real substance to this. I don’t qualify hearsay and lack of evidence as a well written piece. You should be far more skeptical of this whole sign stealing business. Toronto isn’t even in 3rd place. Whatever you think of the possibility of sign stealing there’s one big fact: if it is occurring the Jays aren’t benefiting much from it.

A lot of thoughtful readers have offered plenty of data points regarding pitcher splits and reasonable explanations for hitter splits. You should look them over. Have you considered that maybe these anonymous pitchers in the BP don’t know what they’re looking at? I mean I’ve witnessed people see Venus and claim it’s a UFO. This is starting to look more and more like dead horse you insist on beating. I think you WANT this thing to mean something, not sure why though…

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Well said, FC. But, Matt is just doing his job. He’s writting something that maybe interesting in a blog setting. That’s all he is doing. If this was mainstream media, I would agree with you.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

The more I look at the ESPN story, the more likely it is that Baltimore players are the source of the story and that the game in question was on May 28, 2010. The Jays have consistently dominated Baltimore for the last decade; so, it could be a case of sour grapes from a team that refuses to admit that they suck.

• zsachse - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Wait, what? The Orioles have lost a lot. They lose in pretty much every stadium. I haven’t heard any Orioles players complian about the Blue Jays this year. Bautista doesn’t have a home run against the Orioles this year either. What motivation would the Orioles have to complain when they lose everywhere, and already lead the league in home runs given up?

4. halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM

The Vanimal is getting his assimal kicked today. 5 runs in the first inning. Dodgers hit for the cycle in the 1st.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Yeah, this is game 10 of the road trip and the Vanimal finds himself once again, like he did against the Mets a long while back, pitching against a team hungry for a win. I am not surprised, but I will be disappointed if they don’t show a little something and get to Billingsly for some runs.

• sknut - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Uh what does the Phillies-Dodgers game have to do with this post?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Agreed. I don’t know if you know this, but the Vanimal has opened up a twitter account recently and seems to be very active in the last few days. I tell the kid to give that twitter nonsense a break and concentrate more on preparation in pitching.

Not saying that’s a factor, but sometimes I wonder…

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

nothing at all…just a way for HB and other Phillies fans to chat up the game. If you have a problem with that, then I apologize in advance for offending you.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM

sknut,

I saw Chris posted recently in this thread and wanted to talk to him about the Dodgers-Phillies game. That’s all.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Worley looks to have settled down. Just need to chip away.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Worley seems to have settled down a little bit. I hope he gets through 5 or 6 innings. They have to get a few runs off Billingsly. He’s not really all that good.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

What a bad running mistake by Jimmy Rollins. Whether safe or not on that play at home, you do not take a chance with a 5 run deficit.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Yeah, this game has “Phillies Loss” written all over it. Between the early runs and all these men left on base early, I think they are already on the plane back home in their minds.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

As I’m watching this game, I started to think. Let Worley stay in the game even if he gets lit up some. It may be a learning experience for him. Let’s see what he’s made up of.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM

This is what I am talking about! Worley helps himself with an RBI base hit. Charlie could have pinched hit for him, but wants to see what the kid is made out of.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM

6-5, Dodgers are ahead. The Phillies do not know the word quit!

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM

2 run blast by Pence!!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM

People need to relax on the thumbs down. They seem to be forgetting there is no “And That Happened” this week….so there is no place to discuss things that aren’t thread specific.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Exactly, Doctor. Especially with the fact that there are plenty of Phils fans on this site. Where else can we talk about an afternoon game that’s happening? Most games are at night, so we don’t talk about them as action is happening.

• clydeserra - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM

you could find a phillies blog to talk about it

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Ummm no. I’m not sure how that stuff works, but I would imagine that one would have to register and go through a bunch of other mumbo jumbo. We would all have to sign up as well. Way more convenient to just discuss it here.

• clydeserra - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM

heh

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Dr, dont worry about the thumbs downs. They are for people too afraid to debate and for people who actually worry about what other people feel about what they write.

Regarding this game…I was totally wrong. They weren’t already on the plane.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Madson looks tired right now. Doesn’t have his A game. Let’s hope he squeaks out of it.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM

OK 2 outs big play by Chase there. Come on Mad Dog…one more out and it’s a 9-1 trip…….

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I can’t tell whether all that barking was MAD DOG or the Dodgers. Man are they a bunch of laying down dogs or what? And oh boy, MR. Lucky knocked in 4 runs today, including putting the team ahead 9-7 today. He is just so lucky, isn’t he? Wow. LOL.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM

That was a hell of a play by Ibanez….I was shocked he ran that ball down.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Chris,

We are part of something really special in Philly. Like I said before, this team IS PART OF SOMETHING SPECIAL! I use the caps because the Phillies do the impossible and I am excited!!!!

Let go Phillies!!! Lets go Phillies!!

Chris and Good Doctor, we are just fans on their C-5 Galaxy…we will, enjoy the ride, my friends!!!!!!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Chris,
        Don’t forget that Mr. Overrated hit a two run bomb to spark the comeback.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Good Doctor, you, Chris, Utley’s hair, Jonny 5, Phillies Homer, FC, etc. are in for a great ride!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Yeah Mr. Overrated hit a key bomb too. While that dog Beltran goes on the DL. Yet, who got the “overrated” in the headline? Huuuuuuuunter Pence. Dude is awesome.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Chris,

Hunter Pence underrated…do you remember this nonsense that was sprewed? This team is a friggin beast! I love it!!! We still have to win the damn Wold Series, but everything I see with this team is that they want it. And want it they do!!!!

5. Mark - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Actually it’s a pretty poorly written article and the only reason those pitchers are anonymous is because they’re bitter they got owned.

It’s not like the Jays have the biggest home/road OPS gaps. Look at Texas, a 150 point OPS drop between home and road. Are they cheating too? How about the Brewers?

6. sup3rdup3r - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Redsox and Yankees both have hit significantly better at home than the road both this year and in 2010(both OPS+ and OPS are higher). I guess they must be stealing signs too.

• clydeserra - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Pretty much everyone does.

7. scatterbrian - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM

“Then again, maybe Arencibia simply can’t see the signals allegedly being offered in center.”

Then again, maybe this is simply unsubstantiated bullshit.

Why haven’t the Red Sox or Yankees hired a dude to sit in centerfield with a Flip and record this alleged sign-relayer, then present it to MLB? You’ll pardon me if I don’t take the words of Red Sox or Yankees players as gospel like they seem to do at ESPN…

• b7p19 - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Thats a great point. You would think they’d try to catch them in the act.

• scatterbrian - Aug 10, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Not to mention implying the team is knowingly playing a nearsighted catcher and hasn’t encouraged him to either wear glasses/contacts or get Lasik.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3662)