Jorge Posada on benching: “I’m not happy with it … but I’m moving on”

Aug 10, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT

Girardi Posada

Jorge Posada has handled his benching as the Yankees’ designated hitter about as well as possible, admitting yesterday that he’s “not happy with it” while adding that “I’m moving on and I’ll be ready to play whenever I happen to play.”

Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York asked Joe Girardi how he felt back in 1998, when a young Posada supplanted him as the Yankees’ starting catcher, and the manager replied:

I didn’t like it. I just kept working at it and trying to get better. As a player, that’s the only thing you can do. Be prepared, and when you get your chance, perform and be prepared.

Which is more or less the stance Posada is taking, although he indicated that Girardi gave him no assurances about reemerging with a significant role in the final season of a four-year, $52 million contract.

Prior to the benching Posada hit just .230 with nine homers and a .681 OPS in 90 games. For now Eric Chavez has replaced him as the Yankees’ primary DH, but given his long history of injuries and the presence of top prospect Jesus Montero waiting in the wings at Triple-A the position is in a state of flux.

1. derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM

the rest of the baseball world on Posada: “were not happy with your worthless ass still being in the league, but youre benched so I guess its all good”

• screename529 - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Wouldn’t the rest of baseball WANT him in the lineup?

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

nobody wants to see a bum taking away playing time from someone competent and potentially more likeable

• yankeesgameday - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Wow, really no call for that. Posada is one of the best people in baseball. He’s raised millions for kids afflicted with the birth defect that his son has (sorry I don’t know what it is called off hand), as a catcher he’s caught a perfect game and had never been a part of any scandal in his baseball or personal life.

he is one of the most WORTHWHILE players in the entire game.

he’s just getting older, that’s all, but to call him worthless is a poor testament to everything he’s accomplished.

I’d never call wakefield or varitek worthless and I can’t stand Boston. Try to keep it in perspective.

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM

fair enough. theres just something about Posada that has always irked me more than any other Yankee. I believe Craig wrote a post about this, everyone has those players they absolutely cant stand but cant explain why

• atworkident - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM

he isn’t worthless and the charitable contributions are noteworthy but he isn’t baseball relevant anymore. He should be playing in Baltimore.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

@derp “…theres just something about Posada that has always irked me …”

Career OPS of .839 against Boston perhaps?

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM

thats probably part of it, but its more the way he carries himself as a player, he just seems to radiate arrogance when hes out there (not saying anything about Posada the person, just Posada the ballplayer. I think the charity work he does is commendable but that doesnt change my opinion of him when he steps on the field)

• yournuts - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Your comment on Posada is so stupid. Why not write something intelligent or not write something at all. Posada would be a welcome addition on just about any team. I’m not sure but I think 5 rings, a 5 time all star, would qualify him as a leader on just about any team. He is the only Major League catcher to ever have hit .330 or better with 40 doubles, 20 home runs, and 90 RBIs in a single season. Since 2000, Posada has had more runs batted in, home runs, and hits than any other catcher in baseball.
      Learn something about baseball, about leadership, then write something worthwhile for a change.

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM

hes just a player that bothers me. I admitted my comment was out of line, get off the high horse

• sknut - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Although his career has been great and he has won, to me the leadership aspect only works when said player is producing. Posada has nothing to be ashmed of and his quality of character would make him a welcome addition to any team, if he was producing as he has in the past.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Posada or for that matter, NO ATHLETE, can understand that as they get older, their abilities will decline and there will be younger players pushing to get their jobs? They have never heard about bowing out gracefully, and thanking the team and fans for the chance to play and make that ridiculous sum of money? Jesus sitting on the bench for the rest of the season he will make more than I will make my whole life, $4,000,000. Suck it up Posada, make the rest of your time being a class act.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Posada has been declining as a quality player for several years. He should have been seeing it himself and not denying it. Every player will be let go and replaced. Some are good people and some are not, but the game is built on ability and results. You don’t make your quota or can’t make the grade, in any business you are gone. Posada should have been a class act and announced his retirement and left on the top of his game. Joe Dimaggio did it. He saw Mantle and quit.

• stevem7 - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Probably a safe bet that you were never considered someone that anyone ever wanted on their team with that attitude. You got a lot of learning to do in your lifetime, thats for sure.

• pisano - Aug 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

A little harsh, but it is time for a change. This is what happens to players that hang on too long. Jeter is next followed by Arod. I’m afraid we’re starting to see Rivera failures become more frequent, but I hope his are just a rough patch in the road.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

If the Yankees release him, the Phillies should pick him up and drop Ross Gload.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

why would you hate Posada that much to wish that on him? He’s a class act, he doesnt belong anywhere near the phillies

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

give it a rest

3. pjmarn6 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM

“NO ATHLETE including Posada can understand that as they get older, their abilities will decline and there will be younger players pushing to get their jobs? They have never heard about bowing out gracefully, and thanking the team and fans for the chance to play and make that ridiculous sum of money? Jesus sitting on the bench for the rest of the season he will make more than I will make my whole life, $4,000,000. Suck it up Posada, make the rest of your time being a class act.

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

exactly, its this kinda stuff that bugs me about him. if youre gonna be unhappy fine, but no need to tell the world. I didnt hear Varitek complaining about Salty taking over for him even though he was terrible to start the season. he accepted that he could still have a role on the team and he seems happy to be playing it even if its not what hes used to. saying youre unhappy about making $4 million as a bench player is an insult to everyone who cant even find a job right now. suck it up Jorge, youre not gonna be around much longer any way so just enjoy the twilight of your career

4. deathmonkey41 - Aug 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Even being a Yankees fan, I’ve never been a huge fan of Posada. He was never a catcher that could hit- he was a hitter who could play catcher. The way he called games, framed pitches, and set up behind the plate drove me nuts for years. Now, he apparently can’t hit at all anymore besides for the occasional single. That just can’t cut it if you’re a DH- especially in the AL East. Thanks for your contributions to a great team all these years, but all things must end.

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 10, 2011 at 6:06 PM

ah so Im not alone…good to know

• pisano - Aug 10, 2011 at 10:14 PM

deathmonkey41…. Well said, when it’s time to leave you have to go to the door. He was a good player for years, but like other posters have stated when you’re hurting the team with your at bats a change has to be made.

5. xmatt0926x - Aug 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I’m sorry. Give it a break with the “leadership” nonsense. Someone else has already said it here. Leadership counts when you are producing. Nobody is suggesting that he be flogged or thrown in front of a bus. I think people would just like to see someone like him admit that he hasn’t played up to his past standards and that he may not like diminished playing time as a competitor, but he understands that he hasn’t been helping the team. It’s the “i’m owed” a job attitude that annoys people. “Loyalty” and “leadership” are fake sports terms that get thrown around as long as a player is producing. Cal Ripken wouldn’t have been a leader if he was just a journeyman shortstop during his career.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline