Aug 10, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Jorge Posada has handled his benching as the Yankees’ designated hitter about as well as possible, admitting yesterday that he’s “not happy with it” while adding that “I’m moving on and I’ll be ready to play whenever I happen to play.”
Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York asked Joe Girardi how he felt back in 1998, when a young Posada supplanted him as the Yankees’ starting catcher, and the manager replied:
I didn’t like it. I just kept working at it and trying to get better. As a player, that’s the only thing you can do. Be prepared, and when you get your chance, perform and be prepared.
Which is more or less the stance Posada is taking, although he indicated that Girardi gave him no assurances about reemerging with a significant role in the final season of a four-year, $52 million contract.
Prior to the benching Posada hit just .230 with nine homers and a .681 OPS in 90 games. For now Eric Chavez has replaced him as the Yankees’ primary DH, but given his long history of injuries and the presence of top prospect Jesus Montero waiting in the wings at Triple-A the position is in a state of flux.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)