Aug 10, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Jorge Posada has handled his benching as the Yankees’ designated hitter about as well as possible, admitting yesterday that he’s “not happy with it” while adding that “I’m moving on and I’ll be ready to play whenever I happen to play.”
Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York asked Joe Girardi how he felt back in 1998, when a young Posada supplanted him as the Yankees’ starting catcher, and the manager replied:
I didn’t like it. I just kept working at it and trying to get better. As a player, that’s the only thing you can do. Be prepared, and when you get your chance, perform and be prepared.
Which is more or less the stance Posada is taking, although he indicated that Girardi gave him no assurances about reemerging with a significant role in the final season of a four-year, $52 million contract.
Prior to the benching Posada hit just .230 with nine homers and a .681 OPS in 90 games. For now Eric Chavez has replaced him as the Yankees’ primary DH, but given his long history of injuries and the presence of top prospect Jesus Montero waiting in the wings at Triple-A the position is in a state of flux.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 47
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)