Aug 10, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
While he may be too late to help the sinking Twins in the American League Central, Justin Morneau is at least swinging the bat well during his minor league rehab assignment.
After going 3-for-5 with two doubles last night, he is now batting .409 (9-for-22) with four doubles and five RBI over his first five rehab games with Triple-A Rochester. Morneau was originally placed on the disabled list in mid-June with a strained left wrist before opting for neck surgery later in the month.
The Twins have lost six in a row and nine out of 10, so they could certainly use the boost, but manager Ron Gardenhire told Rhett Bollinger and Jordan Schelling of MLB.com that Morneau likely won’t be activated from the disabled list until next Monday in Detroit.
“He’s hitting the ball hard,” Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire said. “He’s getting some swings in. We’ll go day by day and see where he’s at. So probably Detroit or something like that. We’ll see how it goes.”
Morneau, 30, was batting just .225/.281/.338 with four homers and a .619 OPS prior to being placed on the disabled list. A strong finish would at least give the Twins one less thing to worry about headed into what will be an interesting offseason.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)