Men accused of beating Bryan Stow enter not guilty plea

Aug 10, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT

Image of Dodger Stadium beating victim Stow is shown on scoreboard before MLB National League baseball game between San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals in San Francisco, California Reuters

Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, the two men accused of brutally beating Giants fan Bryan Stow at Dodger Stadium on Opening Day, were arraigned today and pleaded not guilty to criminal charges that include mayhem, assault, and battery.

They’re each being held on $500,000 bail until September 30 hearings.

Stow remains hospitalized more than four months after the attack, but his family issued a statement Monday about the encouraging progress he’s made recently by moving his arms and legs on command and responding non-verbally to family members visiting him.

He still has a long road ahead of him, but last week’s procedure to remove spinal fluid is credited with helping his recovery.

1. flyeaglesfly23 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM

That should at least ensure a life sentence if convicted…

• kopy - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I wish, but unfortunately I don’t think this is the case. Straight from the CA state penal code:

204. Mayhem is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for
      two, four, or eight years.

That’s the greatest of the charges. I would think that more can/will be added on for the assault/battery, but I doubt anything that would approach a life sentence.

There is a charge known as aggravated mayhem that can carry a life sentence. I don’t really know the differences too well (I’m definitely not trying to portray myself as a legal expert), but I’m assuming that if this is what we were dealing with the word “aggravated” would appear in these news stories.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Attempted murder’s got to be on the list for trial. Maybe they’re playing it safe and looking to add it with more evidence?

• flyeaglesfly23 - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I’m not sure how they are not being charged with attempted murder. At the very least, the assault charge should be aggravated assault, which I think would bump the minimum up quite a bit…

2. Utley's Hair - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I doubt that this move was unexpected by anybody.

3. hcf95688 - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I look forard to hearing each of their sides of the story.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3449)