Aug 10, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
Except for travel days, there will be no off days in this year’s postseason schedule. MLB announced the postseason dates today, with the ALDSs beginning on Friday, Sept. 30, followed by the NLDSs on Saturday, Oct. 1.
In order to best separate the games for TV coverage, MLB had previously scheduled certain divisional series with extra off days. Now all four series are set to play their five scheduled games over seven days. That means that Oct. 1 and 4 are scheduled to feature four games apiece, though Oct. 4 would have fewer games if either ALDS ends in a sweep.
All Divisional Series games are scheduled to air on TBS.
The Championship Series games are scheduled to run from Oct. 8-17. The ALCS will air on FOX, while the NLCS will air on TBS.
The World Series will air on FOX and is scheduled to begin Oct. 19. If the series requires seven games, it will conclude on Oct. 27.
It will be the earliest conclusion to the World Series since at least 2008. Last year, World Series Game 1 was played on Oct. 27. The season ended with Game 5 on Nov. 1. In 2009, the season ended on Nov. 4.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)