Aug 10, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Cozart will have the surgery Friday, knocking him out until 2012.
Zack Cozart hit his way into the Reds’ plans with a .310 batting average and .825 OPS at Triple-A and then pushed past veteran Edgar Renteria as the starting shortstop, only to suffer a hyper-extended elbow in his 11th game.
Cozart has been on the disabled list since July 24 and the 25-year-old rookie admitted to Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he’s “leaning toward” undergoing season-ending surgery.
He’ll likely make a decision by the end of the week, but so far has been unable to hit or field without pain and explained: “I’m still far away from being ready to even play the game. … Even if I feel good, I’m going to have to have surgery anyway.”
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 1
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 75
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)