Aug 10, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
UPDATE: Cozart will have the surgery Friday, knocking him out until 2012.
Zack Cozart hit his way into the Reds’ plans with a .310 batting average and .825 OPS at Triple-A and then pushed past veteran Edgar Renteria as the starting shortstop, only to suffer a hyper-extended elbow in his 11th game.
Cozart has been on the disabled list since July 24 and the 25-year-old rookie admitted to Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he’s “leaning toward” undergoing season-ending surgery.
He’ll likely make a decision by the end of the week, but so far has been unable to hit or field without pain and explained: “I’m still far away from being ready to even play the game. … Even if I feel good, I’m going to have to have surgery anyway.”
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 68
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)