Aug 10, 2011, 1:14 PM EST
Brignac didn’t play particularly well in Durham, but with Sean Rodriguez struggling mightily as the Rays’ primary shortstop and Elliot Johnson no one’s idea of a quality everyday player he’ll get a chance to reclaim his old job.
Brignac earned the demotion by hitting just .193 in 68 games and has lost most of his one-time prospect shine thanks to horrible plate discipline and strike-zone control, but he was decent as a rookie last season and at age 25 there’s no reason for the Rays to give up on him yet.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)