Aug 10, 2011, 8:15 PM EST
Danny Knobler of CBSSports says there is “a growing belief in baseball” that Wandy Rodriguez will be placed on waivers this week and that at least one team will put in a claim.
The Yankees discussed a Rodriguez trade prior to the July 31 deadline, but talks broke down amid reports that the Bombers wanted the Astros to eat $17 million of the $38 million owed to the left-hander through 2014. Knobler says the Yankees are no longer interested in Rodriguez.
That even the Yankees wanted the Astros to take on so much of the salary suggested that Rodriguez would probably clear waivers this month. However, Knobler doesn’t believe that’s the case. He says it’s likely at least one NL team will put in a claim.
The Astros could simply let Rodriguez go if he is claimed on waivers. Doing so would free them from his entire salary, but they wouldn’t get anything in return. Alternatively, they could pull him back and attempt to trade him to the claiming team. If that were to happen, the Astros might eat some salary and get a prospect back for him.
If Rodriguez instead clears waivers, the Astros will be free to deal him to any team through the end of the regular season. The only issue there is that he’d have to be traded prior to Sept. 1 to be postseason eligible for his new team.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (97)