Aug 10, 2011, 8:15 PM EST
Danny Knobler of CBSSports says there is “a growing belief in baseball” that Wandy Rodriguez will be placed on waivers this week and that at least one team will put in a claim.
The Yankees discussed a Rodriguez trade prior to the July 31 deadline, but talks broke down amid reports that the Bombers wanted the Astros to eat $17 million of the $38 million owed to the left-hander through 2014. Knobler says the Yankees are no longer interested in Rodriguez.
That even the Yankees wanted the Astros to take on so much of the salary suggested that Rodriguez would probably clear waivers this month. However, Knobler doesn’t believe that’s the case. He says it’s likely at least one NL team will put in a claim.
The Astros could simply let Rodriguez go if he is claimed on waivers. Doing so would free them from his entire salary, but they wouldn’t get anything in return. Alternatively, they could pull him back and attempt to trade him to the claiming team. If that were to happen, the Astros might eat some salary and get a prospect back for him.
If Rodriguez instead clears waivers, the Astros will be free to deal him to any team through the end of the regular season. The only issue there is that he’d have to be traded prior to Sept. 1 to be postseason eligible for his new team.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)