Aug 10, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBSSports says there is “a growing belief in baseball” that Wandy Rodriguez will be placed on waivers this week and that at least one team will put in a claim.
The Yankees discussed a Rodriguez trade prior to the July 31 deadline, but talks broke down amid reports that the Bombers wanted the Astros to eat $17 million of the $38 million owed to the left-hander through 2014. Knobler says the Yankees are no longer interested in Rodriguez.
That even the Yankees wanted the Astros to take on so much of the salary suggested that Rodriguez would probably clear waivers this month. However, Knobler doesn’t believe that’s the case. He says it’s likely at least one NL team will put in a claim.
The Astros could simply let Rodriguez go if he is claimed on waivers. Doing so would free them from his entire salary, but they wouldn’t get anything in return. Alternatively, they could pull him back and attempt to trade him to the claiming team. If that were to happen, the Astros might eat some salary and get a prospect back for him.
If Rodriguez instead clears waivers, the Astros will be free to deal him to any team through the end of the regular season. The only issue there is that he’d have to be traded prior to Sept. 1 to be postseason eligible for his new team.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)