Aug 10, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBSSports says there is “a growing belief in baseball” that Wandy Rodriguez will be placed on waivers this week and that at least one team will put in a claim.
The Yankees discussed a Rodriguez trade prior to the July 31 deadline, but talks broke down amid reports that the Bombers wanted the Astros to eat $17 million of the $38 million owed to the left-hander through 2014. Knobler says the Yankees are no longer interested in Rodriguez.
That even the Yankees wanted the Astros to take on so much of the salary suggested that Rodriguez would probably clear waivers this month. However, Knobler doesn’t believe that’s the case. He says it’s likely at least one NL team will put in a claim.
The Astros could simply let Rodriguez go if he is claimed on waivers. Doing so would free them from his entire salary, but they wouldn’t get anything in return. Alternatively, they could pull him back and attempt to trade him to the claiming team. If that were to happen, the Astros might eat some salary and get a prospect back for him.
If Rodriguez instead clears waivers, the Astros will be free to deal him to any team through the end of the regular season. The only issue there is that he’d have to be traded prior to Sept. 1 to be postseason eligible for his new team.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)