Aug 10, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Salvador Perez is the latest prospect on his way to Kansas City, with the Royals calling up the 21-year-old catcher from Triple-A in time for tonight’s game and releasing historically awful starter Kyle Davies to make room on the roster.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Start reports that Perez “is expected to become the club’s regular catcher upon arrival.”
Whether or not he’s ready to thrive in the majors is another issue, because while Perez’s batting average in 91 games between Double-A and Triple-A is a nice-looking .291 he added just 10 homers and 16 walks for a mediocre .331 on-base percentage and .437 slugging percentage.
Those are solid numbers from a catcher, particularly given how young Perez was relative to the level of competition, but mediocre power and non-existent plate discipline leave him looking like anything but a top prospect and his track record is fairly unimpressive. He makes tons of contact and has hit for solid batting averages, so if Perez can develop some more pop or patience he has a chance to be very good, but for now he’s a question mark in the short and long term.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (143)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)