Stat of the day: 2011’s longest home runs

Aug 10, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

Michael Morse Getty Images

In honor of Mike Morse’s blast last night, here are this season’s 10 longest homers, courtesy of ESPN Home Run Tracker:

1. Prince Fielder: 486 ft. (Apr. 29)
2. Justin Upton: 478 ft. (Apr. 12)
3. Mitch Moreland: 472 ft. (June 20)
3. Mark Trumbo: 472 ft. (May 30)
5. Prince Fielder: 471 ft. (July 30)
5. Mark Trumbo: 471 ft. (Aug. 7)
7. Ryan Howard: 470 ft .(May 13)
8. Kelly Johnson: 466 ft. (May 24)
8. Mike Morse: 466 ft. (Aug. 9)
10. Mike Stanton: 465 ft. (May 16)
10. Ryan Howard: 465 ft. (Aug. 3)

According to Home Run Tracker data, there have been 56 homers of at least 450 feet hit this year.  Here are the guys with multiples:

4 – J. Upton
3 – Morse, Trumbo
2 – Lance Berkman, Nelson Cruz, Fielder, Howard, Torii Hunter, Matt Kemp, Moreland, Wily Mo Pena, Stanton, Jim Thome

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM

7. Ryan Howard: 470 ft .(May 13)
    10. Ryan Howard: 465 ft. (Aug. 3)

Not too shabby.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Apparently at least six people think they are shabby for some reason.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM

They probably do not love our beloved Phillies, like you and I do. :)

• cur68 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Man’s a beast, eh? Frankly I think he contributes to this ‘mediocre at best’ stuff that gets said about him. He puts that out there so he gets pitches to hit. Dude’s so clever I wouldn’t put it past him.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Lol!! Exactly. Even in his own city, people criticise Howard. “He strikes out too much. He does nothing to beat the shift. He is a great fielder at first base.” All he does is hits home runs and drives in a ton of RBI’s, just like Bautista.

• Bryz - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I never knew “He’s a great fielder at first base” was a criticism.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Bryz,

Big typo error. I meant to say “He is a bad fielder at first base.”

• Utley's Hair - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

And where’s Joey Bats? Maybe he needs to up his dose, eh, Seisenta y ocho?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Mr. Lucky is just that…I mean, he’s always coming up with men on base so what’s the big deal that he is among the RBI leaders every single year he’s been in the league? I mean…RBI’s are meaningless, right? LOL.

• cur68 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

For a guy who’s been rumored to be on the juice he sure lacks power, eh? We gotta have a word with that Rogue Chemist of his. Too busy running close order drill with his army of monkeys to notice that his top guinea-pig isn’t a very big hitter at all.

drmonkeyarmy has some ‘splainin’ todo! :)

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Can anyone tell me what team this clown spudchukar follows? I can’t recall because he never talks about anything baseball related. For the last several days he’s been hanging on Phillies threads trashing the fans, and in particular, hanging on things I post.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Potatoman is a Cardinals fan, which means he is probably not in the best of moods right now. It’s best to let him yap and leave him be.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Thanks for the info, Chris. Will do. I will leave him alone.

• cur68 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Pity you and Chris don’t get along with Spuddy, HB. He’s a great fund of baseball knowledge and he knows his Blue Jays, too. Lord knows I’ve upset people that turn out to be pretty reasonable on different topics. Oh well: can’t get along with everyone, I suppose.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:43 PM

cur68,

He may be a wealth of sports knowledge, but he likes to trash the Phillies and our fans. If the guy was a Giants or Braves fan, whom we have somewhat of a rivalry, I could understand and have fun with it. However, he states one stupid comment per Phillies thread, which is usually one sentence and has nothing substantial to offer. The Cardinals have not played the Phillies in a while. If it were a series between the Phils and the Cards, I could understand But, it’s a moot point as I will not engage with him anymore. Like Chris said, let him say what he wants and let him be.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I have to admit that his Phlash Phans reference yesterday made me chuckle…a bit.

• spudchukar - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Right here ‘Cepts, waiting for your daily inanity.

2. stinkfist5 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM

It’s interesting that out of the 5 HRs Willy Mo hit, 2 of them topped 450ft.

• mrhojorisin - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM

When Mo Vaughn was with the Mets, he hit a ball 3/4s the way up the Budweiser banner that used to flank the big scoreboard at Shea. I’d never realized before the ball hit it that that part of the scoreboard wasn’t solid. Probably the longest homer I’ve ever seen hit in person… and Mo didn’t hit too many that year. Point is, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

• b7p19 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Did you just compare Wily Mo to a broken clock? Uncool.

3. tecmosuperhawk - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Alfonso Soriano hit one @ Arizona that went further than Morse’s blast last night. It was to dead center about 3/4 the way up the gigantic video board there. There’s no consistent way in which these are measured, that’s why these numbers are so arbitrary.

• thefalcon123 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Hittracker doesn’t use the stadium estimates and is NOT arbitrary.
      Read this page: http://www.hittrackeronline.com/howitworks.php

It explains that they adjust for things such as wind, atmospheric condition, ect and measure the true distance by figuring out the speed off the bat, angle of trajectory, ect.

Again, this is not the bad stadium data. They have all kinds of confusing looking charts and scary math.

• 5thbase - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM

You’re making things up. Soriano’s shot was impressive but it hit off of the base of the jumbo-tron. The one that hit way up on the actual image of the display was hit by Richie Sexson on Monday April 26, 2004 against the Cubs’ Francis Beltran. That was the one 2/3 (not 3/4) of the way up the board. For several years (until it was replaced a few years back) you could see the exact spot the Sexson ball hit because he broke some of the lights on the board.

4. ballou0254 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM

The most impressive HR this year is easily JUpton’s shot at Petco Park

5. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM

The shot that Mike Stanton hit, I believe it was against the Cardinals, was themost impressive Home Run hit in my opinion. It was still on a line when it hit the seats…I believe it was a couple decks up or about 40 rows up. I don’t remember but I know that OG posted the video link. That one probably would have gone about 700 feet if the stands didn’t stop it.

• thefalcon123 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Stanton has two HRs against the Cards this year, ones true distance (IE, distance traveled in neutralized conditions uninterrupted) was 414, the other was 426.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM

That is why this measurement is so deceiving. There’s no way that one he hit was only 426. It was still on the rise when it hit the Big Mac sign in the third deck out in left field. I am having trouble finding a video of it, but it was just a sick home run that left the field in about 3 seconds and never even lost momentum. If anybody can find it and post it here it would be appreciated.

• b7p19 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM

The numbers don’t lie man. I agree that was incrdibly inpressive, but the speed at which a ball is propelled is not the only factor in distance.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Here’s the video

The ball hits the third deck and it is still just about on a line. Maybe distance-wise it wasn’t all that spectacular, but it was still the most impressive home run I saw all year. When you hit the third deck and the ball is almost still rising, that is sick.

• Bryz - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I am having trouble finding a video of it…

Funny, because Hit Tracker Online (I refuse to acknowledge that ESPN now owns it) would be an excellent place to start. http://hittrackeronline.com/index.php?h=FLA&p=STL&b=Busch%2BStadium

Or if you want me to go one step further and just give you the video link: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14398163

Here’s where you’re erring on your estimate. The ball was hit down the line, and while it hit the 3rd deck, the place where it hit is just about 10 feet behind the fence at field level. I completely understand why HTO measured it at 426 feet.

Related reading involving a Russell Branyan home run from last season: http://www.hittrackeronline.com/branyanhomer.php

Shameless self promotion: http://weareoffthemark.wordpress.com/2010/09/08/480-feet-are-you-sure/

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Like I said in my post a minute before yours(by the way thanks for the links, but my works doesn’t allow HRT website) to me, the most impressive isn’t always the longest. No matter how long it was, Stanton’s bomb was most impressive to me because it looked to be almost on a line when it hit the third deck.

• Bryz - Aug 11, 2011 at 3:43 AM

That’s something I can respect, though. A wall-scraper to right-center just doesn’t look as impressive as a bullet that lands 20 rows deep down the right field line, even if they traveled the same distance.

• hasbeen5 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM

That dude is pretty damn impressive

6. natstowngreg - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Michael Morse’s shot at Wrigley last night didn’t look like 466 ft.on my TV. But then, he hit it into the seats under the scoreboard, where hardly anyone hits the ball.

Morse has been a great story. When he came to Washington, he was looking for a chance to stick on the bench. Then he started hitting, and kept hitting, and is still hitting.

In 683 AB over 234 games for the Nats, Morse is .305-38-119, .896 OPS. [per Baseball-Reference.ccom]

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win