Aug 10, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
Good news, Twins fans.
Morneau has been sidelined since undergoing surgery on his neck in late June. The 30-year-old native of Canada is batting just .225 this season with a .619 OPS, four home runs and 21 RBI in 231 plate appearances, but he’s been hitting the ball well on his minor league rehab assignment and is certainly capable of catching fire down the stretch.
The Twins are currently 10 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings. Morneau is owed $14 million in 2012 and another $14 million in 2013. He’ll be a free agent after that.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)