Aug 10, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
Good news, Twins fans.
Morneau has been sidelined since undergoing surgery on his neck in late June. The 30-year-old native of Canada is batting just .225 this season with a .619 OPS, four home runs and 21 RBI in 231 plate appearances, but he’s been hitting the ball well on his minor league rehab assignment and is certainly capable of catching fire down the stretch.
The Twins are currently 10 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings. Morneau is owed $14 million in 2012 and another $14 million in 2013. He’ll be a free agent after that.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39