Aug 11, 2011, 1:35 PM EST
Joe Girardi announced that Alex Rodriguez will begin a brief minor-league rehab assignment tomorrow in Florida, with the current plan calling for him to start at designated hitter before moving to third base Saturday.
Barring a setback that means Rodriguez will likely come off the disabled list by next Thursday, when the Yankees begin a four-game series in Minnesota, and could be back as soon as Monday.
He’s been out since undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee on July 11 and presumably will have met with MLB officials to settle the whole poker non-issue before then.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)