Aug 11, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com heard from a source Thursday that the Blue Jays are no longer expecting to reach agreement on a contract with Tyler Beede, their first-round pick from June’s MLB Amateur Draft.
Beede made a commitment to pitch for Vanderbilt University earlier this summer and apparently hasn’t been swayed by the Jays’ contract offers.
An 18-year-old high school pitcher out of Massachusetts, he won’t be eligible for the draft until 2014 if the negotiations are indeed broken off.
The deadline to sign picks is August 15, so there’s still a bit of time left for something to change. For now, those rumors of a “pre-draft” agreement between Beede and the Jays would appear to be completely off base.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)