Aug 11, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com heard from a source Thursday that the Blue Jays are no longer expecting to reach agreement on a contract with Tyler Beede, their first-round pick from June’s MLB Amateur Draft.
Beede made a commitment to pitch for Vanderbilt University earlier this summer and apparently hasn’t been swayed by the Jays’ contract offers.
An 18-year-old high school pitcher out of Massachusetts, he won’t be eligible for the draft until 2014 if the negotiations are indeed broken off.
The deadline to sign picks is August 15, so there’s still a bit of time left for something to change. For now, those rumors of a “pre-draft” agreement between Beede and the Jays would appear to be completely off base.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (75)