Aug 11, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com heard from a source Thursday that the Blue Jays are no longer expecting to reach agreement on a contract with Tyler Beede, their first-round pick from June’s MLB Amateur Draft.
Beede made a commitment to pitch for Vanderbilt University earlier this summer and apparently hasn’t been swayed by the Jays’ contract offers.
An 18-year-old high school pitcher out of Massachusetts, he won’t be eligible for the draft until 2014 if the negotiations are indeed broken off.
The deadline to sign picks is August 15, so there’s still a bit of time left for something to change. For now, those rumors of a “pre-draft” agreement between Beede and the Jays would appear to be completely off base.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final