Aug 11, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com heard from a source Thursday that the Blue Jays are no longer expecting to reach agreement on a contract with Tyler Beede, their first-round pick from June’s MLB Amateur Draft.
Beede made a commitment to pitch for Vanderbilt University earlier this summer and apparently hasn’t been swayed by the Jays’ contract offers.
An 18-year-old high school pitcher out of Massachusetts, he won’t be eligible for the draft until 2014 if the negotiations are indeed broken off.
The deadline to sign picks is August 15, so there’s still a bit of time left for something to change. For now, those rumors of a “pre-draft” agreement between Beede and the Jays would appear to be completely off base.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 78
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)