Aug 11, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com heard from a source Thursday that the Blue Jays are no longer expecting to reach agreement on a contract with Tyler Beede, their first-round pick from June’s MLB Amateur Draft.
Beede made a commitment to pitch for Vanderbilt University earlier this summer and apparently hasn’t been swayed by the Jays’ contract offers.
An 18-year-old high school pitcher out of Massachusetts, he won’t be eligible for the draft until 2014 if the negotiations are indeed broken off.
The deadline to sign picks is August 15, so there’s still a bit of time left for something to change. For now, those rumors of a “pre-draft” agreement between Beede and the Jays would appear to be completely off base.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)