Aug 11, 2011, 9:44 AM EST
Dee Gordon took over as the Dodgers’ starting shortstop when Rafael Furcal was traded to the Cardinals, but now the 23-year-old rookie will be sidelined for at least two weeks with a bruised right shoulder.
Don Mattingly described the decision to place Gordon on the disabled list as “precautionary” and an MRI exam revealed no structural damage, so it sounds like the Dodgers are hoping to have him back in the lineup by the end of the month.
Gordon has struggled offensively, hitting just .234 with a .518 OPS in 30 games, but he’s shown good range defensively and swiped 12 bases while being caught just three times. Because of his slight frame and grand total of just seven homers in 394 games as a minor leaguer Gordon doesn’t project as an impact hitter, but with the development of any sort of decent on-base skills he has 50-steal potential.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)