Bryce Harper ejected from Double-A game after confrontation with umpire

Aug 11, 2011, 2:08 AM EDT

bryce harper ejection

Bryce Harper thought he drew a 3-2 walk in the seventh inning at Double-A last night, but as he headed to first base home plate umpire Max Guyll called him out on strikes and the 18-year-old Nationals uber-prospect angrily slammed his helmet down in disgust.

Guyll immediately ejected him from the game, at which point Harper got in the umpire’s face, screaming and pointing and digging his spikes into the dirt to show where he believed the pitch crossed outside the strike zone.

Chris Knight of the Harrisburg Patriot-News snapped the fantastic face-to-face action photo you see displayed to the left and CSNWashington.com has video that shows the entire incident unfold:

Obviously this wouldn’t be any kind of story if Harper wasn’t involved, as plenty of minor leaguers are ejected in similar fashions every week, but it does play into some of the negative aspects of his reputation and the incident making headlines is part of the increased attention that comes with being a former No. 1 overall pick and the top prospect in baseball at age 18. Plus, he did kind of freak out.

For more details, check out the game story from the Harrisburg Patriot-News.

1. cavredleg15 - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I’m still waiting for the Robot Umpires to tell me if it was a ball or a strike. There is no standard(well there is but there isn’t).

2. timasahh - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Love the guy you hear at the end of the video, “There’s that maturity! There’s that maturity!”

Don’t want to be a hypocrite though. I get the same way sitting at home watching TV when the ump makes a call I think is bogus. Then again I could probably grow up a bit too.

• cavredleg15 - Aug 11, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I’m going to assume that the person screaming “there’s that maturity” probably left that station of life a bit too early. Nothing like screaming at an 18 year old about being mature.
      I don’t want to come off as a Harper defender. The kid is probably an egotistic ass. But who isn’t at 18?

• skids003 - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I met him. He’s an egotistical turd.

• CJ - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:50 AM

skids,

Actually, I think that’s the nicest thing I’ve ever seen or heard anyone say about the person.

• derpdederpdederp - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM

seems the better a young player is these days the more of a douche he is (see: Brett Lawrie)

3. klbader - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I really didn’t think it was that bad. I have yelled at MLB: The Show more than Harper yelled at that ump and I’m turning 39 tomorrow. That probably says more about me than him, but I don’t think his outburst was that bad, especially when compared to how angry many MLB players get after an umpire tosses them out. You’re already ejected — not much to lose anymore. Might as well go a little crazy. The fact that the video encompassing the incident is only 22 seconds tells us how minor this was.

• cur68 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

39 tomorrow, eh? Well enjoy your impending mid-life crisis and make it a good one. I’m right in the midst of mine and things are certainly interesting.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Mid-life crisis at 39? Damn…I guess I might just be an overachiever…

• Utley's Hair - Aug 11, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Thanks to the (at least) two people who apparently don’t like the mid-life crisis before 39. Your anonymous support means the world to me.

• The Baseball Idiot - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Not that bad? I guess Jack the Ripper just wanted to cuddle.

4. cerowb - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM

This is a total non-story

5. purnellmeagrejr - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I’m hoping Bryce will develop into the white Albert Belle.

• hcf95688 - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Not Todd Marinovich?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Bryce Harper as the white Todd Marinovich?

• purnellmeagrejr - Aug 12, 2011 at 9:22 AM

good one, Utley.

6. Phillies Homer - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM

It appears Harper is yelling “Don’t you know who I am!!!!!” at the ump.

• bigxrob - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I thought he was yelling “Jackie Robinson wasn’t treated like this”

7. bravesman1983 - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Obviously this wouldn’t be any kind of story if Harper wasn’t involved

‘Nuff said.

8. seanmk - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM

well umps in the minors have a shorter leash on players to begin with because they are trying to instill maturity for the future. The first sign of anything and they will toss you. as the writer said players get ejected a lot and this is only a story because it’s harper and he has a narritive of maturity issues.

• clydeserra - Aug 11, 2011 at 5:20 PM

He threw his helmet in reaction to a call. He is going to get tossed no matter what league he is in.

9. kcrockett1 - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM

If that is immature, than what do we say about Yadier Molina? The kid may be an ass most of the time, but this is a situation where he is just being a ball player…..hey guy in the stands, I’m sure Bryce Harper could show you maturity on his second contract, you know, the one where he will be able to afford to buy you……..

10. rodericksilva - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:10 AM

He is intense and wants to win. No big deal. I’d be happy if the Reds had signed him.

11. wackyzack - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:41 AM

The “Lebron James” of baseball or the “JaMarcus Russell” of baseball…you decide.

• wackyzack - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Bryce Harper could learn something from Michigan State Quarterback Kirk Cousins. Cousin’s recent speech at the Big Ten Luncheon discussed the responsibilities that come with being “privileged”. Check it out if you get the chance, it was a great message for all young athletes. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp15N9BbYgY

12. tcostant - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Harper should have told him I think of you when your still here in Double A and I’m in the bigs. It was a ball.

• Clinton Manitoba - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

That would be something Harper would say and not consider the amount of MLB player jobs vs. amount of MLB umpire jobs…..

• natstowngreg - Aug 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

And if Harper had said that, he would have been ripped for being classless. And rightly so.

13. Clinton Manitoba - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Bitches be crazy, we all know that…

14. dlevalley - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:27 AM

SurKKKKKKKKKamp!!! (one for each strikeout in the game)
    Harper: 0 for 3 with 2 Ks.

• kcrockett1 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Man I hope that kid makes it to the big leagues sooner rather than later, I would love to see if he can handle it

• dlevalley - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised with a September call-up and some relief appearances

15. ryry007 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM

This kid is a complete Jack ass….. not what baseball needs no matter how good he may be which is still yet to be proven…..

16. brockw82 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Skids is right, I live in Harrisburg and saw him play in Hagerstown numerous times before he got called up here. He’s selfish, arrogant and has no respect for others. His sense of entitlement is scary for an 18 yr old, no thanks to the way the Nats and probably his parents baby him. His interaction with fans is even worse, doesn’t even acknowledge them, won’t sign autographs for anybody older than him (i don’t care if you think autographs are childish, for some adults it is a hobby). He should call up Cal Ripken for a crash course in PR and fan relations.

• professor59 - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Good idea. Ripken was a douchebag ballplayer for 20 years and yet his public reputation is such that he could still run for mayor of Baltimore. Also did not sign autographs. So, yes, he’s way better at PR.

• frightwig - Aug 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Ripken did receive special treatment from his club, including his own hotel accomodations on the road, but how did you get the idea that he didn’t sign autographs? He frequently signed autographs beside the dugout, before and after games.

17. cliffleesbeard - Aug 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Princess didn’t like the call… Big whoop.

18. marshmallowsnake - Aug 11, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Maybe he is just mad at the .248 BA with 2 Homers and 9 RBI in 31 games?

19. macjacmccoy - Aug 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM

wow this kid has no self awareness. You are 18 years old just bc you were drafted by an mlb team doesnt make you no longer teenage you dont get in a mans face double your age show some respect. You arent a 33 year old man playing in the major league who has earned the right to argue with refs you are just a kid prospect. Most major leaguers wouldnt have went 2 the extent u went at their age let alone when they were 18. They would have had some sense of self awareness and knew how inappropriate it would be to act like that at that age. And would have showen some humility during their first year as a pro.

But if you dont know what humility is then at least use your head. No body is gonna want to do sponsorship deals with a snotty kid who doesnt know his place. If you want to keep collecting money for bats, shoe,sports drinks etc deals then you need to start acting like a normal human being. .

So if your cant manage to gain some perspective and control yourself because its what you should be doing then atleast use your heard and do it out of greed.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3897)