Aug 11, 2011, 1:03 PM EST
Davey Johnson didn’t sound very optimistic when asked yesterday about Ivan Rodriguez‘s recovery from a strained oblique muscle.
Johnson told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that Rodriguez “is not doing too well” and “is pushing it too hard” in attempt to return from the disabled list, causing him to suffer a setback that required an epidural shot over the weekend.
There’s really no reason for the Nationals to rush Rodriguez back at this point unless they think there’s still some chance of trading him to a catcher-starved contender before August 31, but that seems awfully unlikely now that his terrible hitting is combined with poor health.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)