Aug 11, 2011, 1:03 PM EST
Davey Johnson didn’t sound very optimistic when asked yesterday about Ivan Rodriguez‘s recovery from a strained oblique muscle.
Johnson told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that Rodriguez “is not doing too well” and “is pushing it too hard” in attempt to return from the disabled list, causing him to suffer a setback that required an epidural shot over the weekend.
There’s really no reason for the Nationals to rush Rodriguez back at this point unless they think there’s still some chance of trading him to a catcher-starved contender before August 31, but that seems awfully unlikely now that his terrible hitting is combined with poor health.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)