Aug 11, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
Davey Johnson didn’t sound very optimistic when asked yesterday about Ivan Rodriguez‘s recovery from a strained oblique muscle.
Johnson told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that Rodriguez “is not doing too well” and “is pushing it too hard” in attempt to return from the disabled list, causing him to suffer a setback that required an epidural shot over the weekend.
There’s really no reason for the Nationals to rush Rodriguez back at this point unless they think there’s still some chance of trading him to a catcher-starved contender before August 31, but that seems awfully unlikely now that his terrible hitting is combined with poor health.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 95
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (150)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)