Logan Morrison takes “not so subtle jab at Hanley Ramirez”

Aug 11, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Florida Marlins Getty Images

Shortly after the Marlins placed Hanley Ramirez on the disabled list with a sprained left shoulder Logan Morrison took what Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel describes as a “not so subtle jab at Ramirez.”

Rodriguez has the details:

“What we don’t have is experience and a veteran who is in the lineup every day that can be an anchor for us. We don’t have it.”

Asked whether Ramirez could be that anchor, Morrison said: “I guess, but he’s not there every game. It’s 162 games. It’s not a 100-game season.”

Remember, it was Morrison who earlier this season called out Ramirez in the clubhouse for his arrival times.

I’m a big Logan Morrison fan in large part because of how active he is on Twitter and how much of his amusing personality he typically shows, but I’m not exactly sure what’s accomplished by repeatedly calling out Ramirez in public, particularly in this case when he’s done nothing wrong except get hurt.

And the notion that “he’s not there every game” loses steam once you look beyond this season. Ramirez played at least 142 games in each of the previous five seasons, missing an average of just 10 games per year. That doesn’t qualify him for Iron Man status or anything, but it’s misguided to act as though Ramirez is a disabled list regular just because he’s currently injured. And if instead “he’s not there every game” refers to Ramirez’s mental state and/or effort level, then it’s an even bigger public call-out.

Morrison, incidentally, spent three weeks on the disabled list with a sprained foot back in May and has played exactly one more game than Ramirez this season, missing time earlier this week with a knee injury.

1. sup3rdup3r - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM

“I guess, but he’s not there every game.”

He may also be alluding to his lack of effort

2. brianbowman16 - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

@sup that is exactly what i was gonna say. it is very well documented that Hanley is allegedly the randy moss and albert haynesworth of baseball. I honestly believe if he got out of Florida that he would become the superstar that he has showed flashes of.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM

My take is that he is saying the team needs a leader who shows guys they should be in the lineup every day and playing hard the whole year. I don’t get the feeling that Hanley provides a veteran presence even when he is around. I don’t imagine the younger guys looking up to him, and I don’t imagine Hanley kicking anyone deriere in the clubhouse if they are slacking.

4. trevorb06 - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

This needs to be settled once and for all. I call upon the makers of the old MTV show Celebrity Deathmatch to make a claymation fight between these two. Winner gets pride and bragging rights. Let’s get it on! :-)

5. cur68 - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Another thing that Ramirez doesn’t do, in addition to not slacking one more game off than Lo Mo, is shooting his mouth off to the press. Yup, it seems that what real clubhouse leaders do is blab about team matters to the press as often as possible.

Whatever Ramirez’s faults are they don’t extend to getting his phiz in the press and saying hypocritical stuff about his teammates. Does Logan Morrison not realize he has to play as a team member with Ramirez and saying such naive garbage is ruining whatever team chemistry they might have had? Maybe you can make a case for Ramirez’s lack of effort but you can also make a much stronger case for Morrison’s lack of class, tact, team feeling, and brains.

As for lack of effort, wasn’t Ramirez playing hurt for the first part of this season and not telling anyone about it? Sounds like he was making an effort to me but I suppose that no-class ass-clown Morrison would call that ‘being selfish’.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I agree with you there cur. It always seems that it is his manager, coaches or teammates who are always throwing him under the bus any chance they get, yet the only time we hear anything from Hanley is when he has to respond to something said about him in the press.

• cur68 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Well I’m glad you wrote that Chris, ’cause I thought I was about the only one who saw it this way. Ramirez shows more tact in 3 minutes of an interview than Morrison in a whole season of twitting and running his mouth to the press. I’m pretty sick of that jerk-off.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Seemed like last year, Gonzalez was always on his ass…then McKeon gets on his ass practically before he even gets into the dugout this year.

The one whose opinion I would value most on this subject would be OG, who I am sure has something to say about this.

• trevorb06 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM

You guys do realize that the public only knows about %10 of what ACTUALLY goes down inside the clubhouse. What you see in the media of player-player;player-coach relationships is usually hyped, twisted, cropped, etc for the good of a story.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

trevor, I agree 100% with you there, but why is it that you always see someone in the Marlins organization throwing Hanley under the bus for one thing or another. Even a guy like Conine, who really had no business opening his mouth and saying anything had to do it.

I don’t know…I understand that Hanley has his warts, but at least the guy doesn’t run to the media with his gripes.

• trevorb06 - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Chris, isn’t this the same Hanley who was adament to the public about wanting to be traded and who wore a shirt or had a sign saying this as well? I think remember Hanley having a lot of distruptive behavior and verbal outbursts that was right in the media spotlight meant to grab attention a while back before Morrison’s time.

I could be remembering wrong, however.

• trevorb06 - Aug 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Just a quick search of HBT

But again I stand at my original statement of us (the public) only knowing 10%… if that even.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Again, though. In both of those articles, he was responding to media questions to him directly about things said about him by others in the Marlins organization. If the organization had more class, and handled things inside the clubhouse, then I don’t think you would have guys like LoMo, who definitely relishes the attention, running his mouth about the team. Especially considering he is probably the worst all-around left fielder in baseball right now…yeah worse than Ibanez IMHO

• trevorb06 - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM

As far as I’m concerned LoMo and Hanley are both equally guilty. One of them just maybe is being more public about it. It takes two to tango my friend.

6. seanmk - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

saw this story elsewhere and he later tried to clarify that he was not singling out ramirez but more that no one on the marlins has veteran experience and played 162 games. they are all new, but that hanley just happens to be the guy that has been there a while

• usbbfan - Aug 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Look at the entire article printed in the Aug 12 paper. I know we have freedom of the press but if your going edit quotes, don’t print it. You’re not suppose to pick and choose what you want to print or not print. I’m hoping Juan C. Rodriguez walked away before he heard all of what LoMo was saying. I’d hate to think of him as a reporter trying to get looked at through sensationalism.

7. mdpickles - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Imagine for a second if Chase Utley played for the Marlins, who missed the first two months of the season, would LoMo say the same about him?

Marlins have one legitimate superstar in Ramirez, and when he gets hurt, there is no one around including LoMo to pick up the slack. LowBlowLoMo

• Utley's Hair - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:21 PM

“Imagine for a second if Chase Utley played for the Marlins…”

Um…how do I say this…er…okay…HELL NO!!!!!!!!

• usbbfan - Aug 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Don’t you people read the sport page????? Aug 12.

8. xmatt0926x - Aug 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Hanley Ramirez may be a malcontent sometimes but I’ll take that over a guy like Logan Morrison who is nothing but a simple whore and not much else. He makes Curt Schilling look shy when the red light comes on. The sad part is that he admits that he’s only trying to get his name out there with the twitter stuff and his constant media whoring ways, yet the media laps it up like thirsty dogs every time.

• wlschneider09 - Aug 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Hey look everybody! Hanley’s mom joined the conversation!

• Utley's Hair - Aug 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Nobody makes Curt Schilling look shy—although him using those flapping gums about autism has softened my opinion of him slightly.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I agree on that one UH…if Ryan Howard is “The Big Piece” then Curt Schilling is “The Big Mouth”.

• 24missed - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Curt Schilling is great about helping raise awareness and funding for autism.

But, Schilling has made flippant remarks (I know, he’s got a big mouth) regarding other neurological disorders. I went on 38 pitches after he made a joke re: epileptics and he deleted my post. My post had no profanity and it wasn’t a brutal attack. Just sayin’ he doesn’t see the pain that families go through.

The next day’s blog post from him was about people who were too sensitive and couldn’t handle a joke.

Maybe he’s just too insensitive and only is sensitive when his life is touched by something.

I still think his charitable work isn’t to be ignored, I’m just surprised by his ability to think it is okay to laugh about other disorders.

9. clydeserra - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Why does a good player have to also be a leader? Some people aren’t like that.

• nsideindy - Aug 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I don’t think anyone is saying he has to be a leader. Most would just settle for being a good teammate. Ramirez could end all of the things that people say about him if he would play hard and be a good teammate.

10. Old Gator - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Let me put this tactfully: Hanley has been run down by so many of his teammates (Dan Uggla year before last, remember – when I posted that Uggla should pick on someone whose batting average was 140 points lower than his); Fat Fredi last year; Jeff Conine this year. The caveat in each case would be that those guys earned the right to call him out – forget for a moment about whether or not the tactic was actually useful or not – by dint of seniority or of being the manager. And the complaint has always been the same: his head’s not in the game, or he’s a prima donna. I suppose that where there’s so much smoke, there needs to be some combustion somewhere, even if spontaneously generated.

And I’ve been riding Hanley’s lackadaisical play pretty hard this year myself, but I’m invoking Fanetic License, as is my right and as I would anyway even if it wasn’t my right. But then, I don’t have to walk into the same clubhouse as hanley and be a vortex of gratuitous tension because I shot my mouth off to the sports press. Anyway, guys “lose it” totally or sometimes temporarily, then find it again or they don’t. Sometimes with a change of scene. And lets face it, playing for the Feesh can’t be a picnic (as opposed to living in Macondo, which can be. Surely is for a lot of guys – else why would they want to stay here playing in the mud in front of an ocean of empty seats, for an organization they can’t fool themselves into not seeing how they’re all being nickeled and dimed into the second division.

Another thing: consider that Hanley was doing fine until just about the time that Uggla started calling him out in public, a time when he had been on fire, during a season he was to close out as league batting champion. Uggla’s remarks couldn’t have been more calculated to derail a cranky personality if he had been paid off by the management of the Bravos to say it. Hanley may just be the sort of guy who sulks at the plate instead of in the clubhouse, or perhaps in addition to it, without fully understanding how or why he’s sabotaging himself. He’s clearly something of a head case. But if you can see that – and how dense do you have to be essentially to live with a guy day in and out as his teammates do and not see it – then lay the hell off of him. If he doesn’t do his job, yours just gets harder, right? And it’s your ticket to playoff money that he’s not punching when you shoot your mouth off and deepen his funk, right?

I’ve always believed that if you have an issue with someone and think it’s important, you deal directly with the person with whom you have the issue. Kvitchering to the press is a gutless way to go about it. And worse: sure, you can pat yourself on the back for your ersatz motivational skills if your target – Hanley, in this case – responds with a declaration about how he’s going to play his ass off and cram your words down your throat, as he did to Conine. Unfortunately, resentment does have a way of lodging in your Id and dripping corrosives into the rest of your psyche even after the chest-thumping and venting is over. I really think that a lot of Hanley’s decline is unwitting self-subversion consisting at least in part of his discomfort with and resentment of his teammates for what he probably perceives as their ostracism of him.

But back to the first point: what the hell is LoMo’s entitlement? His Tweeter following? Whether or not he has a point, it’s a point he should have kept to himself until he’s earned the creds to make them publicly. His play this year has been erratic and surely the past three weeks or so, when all of his stats (except maybe for fastest time in a one yard dash when scared shitless by a harmless bug) have been doing a wonderful impersonation of a stooping falcon.

If LoMo pines for leadership, how about shutting up and providing it himself with his bat or his glove? The Feesh are where they are these days at least as much because he’s playing like his head is up his his keyboard instead of the game lately.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM

“what the hell is LoMo’s entitlement?”

“If LoMo pines for leadership, how about shutting up and providing it himself with his bat or his glove?”

Truer words were never written…well said OG.

• cur68 - Aug 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I was wondering what you had to say on the topic of Ramiriz vs Twitter, Gator. You follow these guys way closer than me, but even I knew this stuff being said about Ramirez was toxic. Its why I made the comment at the start of the season that he would either implode or explode.

Frankly i don’t get it. If they’re trying t ruin the kid as an MLB player, they are going about it exactly the right way, which is strange since he’s their MLB player and one of the few who might put asses in seats. Now would be a good time for the manager or GM of that team it come out publicly in support of his star player and see if he can’t catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It’s certainly a tactic they haven’t tried yet, isn’t it?

• Old Gator - Aug 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Well, in one sense they did try the honey – Scrooge McLoria must have called in some favors from a jeweler friend and gotten that accursed “.342″ diamond studded Monkey’s Paw of an amulet made for him at the beginning of last season. I’ve written at length here about the evil spirits that infest that thing and Hanley’s futile attempts to rid himself of it. Probably better to use high fructose corn syrup next time.

Aside from which, Scrooge McLoria – and his nitwit film critic wannabe, the Chihuahua – have long proven themselves much more adept at criticizing their players than at patting them on the back. I’ve read any number of articles over the years alleging that the two of them are among the most disliked MLB execs by their colleagues; fortunately for them, they’ve got Frank McCourt to distract the rattlesnakes of the sports press from their nest these days.

• cur68 - Aug 12, 2011 at 11:58 AM

The Mc-Wilpons & Mc-Lorias owe the McCourts a huge debt of gratitude, frankly. I couldn’t image such incompetence being over looked were it not for the zeppelin of ineptitude that is McCourt & Co.

• usbbfan - Aug 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Did you earn your credits to be such an expert?

• nsideindy - Aug 14, 2011 at 5:18 PM

What is LoMo’s entitlement? Maybe he was just “invoking Fanetic License, as is (his) right and as (he) would anyway even if it wasn’t (his) right? Since he works with the guy…I’d say he is a little more entitled than the rest of us that are commenting about it.

11. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM

“what the hell is LoMo’s entitlement?”

Truer words were never written…well said OG.

12. sawxalicious - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Sometimes people get things mixed up – just because someone has great baseball talent and puts up great numbers, does not automatically mean that they are a leader. I’m not giving Hanley a pass on this, but he is still a relatively young guy that just happens to have super-star talent. Calling him out for not being a “leader” might be like calling out Tim Wakefield because he doesn’t have a good fastball, or calling out Prince Fielder because he doesn’t steal bases. It’s just not what they do…Hanley (at this stage of his career anyways) just doesn’t seem to be a great leader; not his fault. Essentially, I understand Morrison’s frustrations, but you can’t squeeze water out of a rock…Would the Marlins be better off with Omar Visquel at shortstop? Great veteran presence, probably great leadership…Probably not gonna help them to the promised land. I predict that if Hanley gets a veteran teammate that does have the leadership skills his team needs, and is shown how to act and play properly, the sky is the limit for him. He might someday develop leadership skills, but he’s gonna need a good teacher. There’s a reason Jason Varitek has been with the Red Sox ever since his offense died…He’s a leader, and will dig into players and regulate his team without having to go throught the media to do it. Just my opinion.

13. sasquash20 - Aug 13, 2011 at 12:36 AM

LOMO needs to shut his mouth until he does something. Hanley is a total dog though. Players like that are disruptive and other then hollow stats bring nothing to the game. I wouldn’t want him on my team, I don’t care what his numbers are.

14. mlbboca - Aug 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Very nice editing job, intentionally lying to make a story. Here is the following sentence spoken by Morrison:

“I don’t know how many games he’s played, but it’s unfortunate. Going into the offseason the front office saw him as that guy that was going to be able to do it and there’s no reason to think he couldn’t have done it because he’s done it in the past, but he just hasn’t been healthy.”

Three legends off to Cooperstown