Aug 11, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
Shortly after the Marlins placed Hanley Ramirez on the disabled list with a sprained left shoulder Logan Morrison took what Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel describes as a “not so subtle jab at Ramirez.”
Rodriguez has the details:
“What we don’t have is experience and a veteran who is in the lineup every day that can be an anchor for us. We don’t have it.”
Asked whether Ramirez could be that anchor, Morrison said: “I guess, but he’s not there every game. It’s 162 games. It’s not a 100-game season.”
Remember, it was Morrison who earlier this season called out Ramirez in the clubhouse for his arrival times.
I’m a big Logan Morrison fan in large part because of how active he is on Twitter and how much of his amusing personality he typically shows, but I’m not exactly sure what’s accomplished by repeatedly calling out Ramirez in public, particularly in this case when he’s done nothing wrong except get hurt.
And the notion that “he’s not there every game” loses steam once you look beyond this season. Ramirez played at least 142 games in each of the previous five seasons, missing an average of just 10 games per year. That doesn’t qualify him for Iron Man status or anything, but it’s misguided to act as though Ramirez is a disabled list regular just because he’s currently injured. And if instead “he’s not there every game” refers to Ramirez’s mental state and/or effort level, then it’s an even bigger public call-out.
Morrison, incidentally, spent three weeks on the disabled list with a sprained foot back in May and has played exactly one more game than Ramirez this season, missing time earlier this week with a knee injury.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)