Aug 11, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
Shortly after the Marlins placed Hanley Ramirez on the disabled list with a sprained left shoulder Logan Morrison took what Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel describes as a “not so subtle jab at Ramirez.”
Rodriguez has the details:
“What we don’t have is experience and a veteran who is in the lineup every day that can be an anchor for us. We don’t have it.”
Asked whether Ramirez could be that anchor, Morrison said: “I guess, but he’s not there every game. It’s 162 games. It’s not a 100-game season.”
Remember, it was Morrison who earlier this season called out Ramirez in the clubhouse for his arrival times.
I’m a big Logan Morrison fan in large part because of how active he is on Twitter and how much of his amusing personality he typically shows, but I’m not exactly sure what’s accomplished by repeatedly calling out Ramirez in public, particularly in this case when he’s done nothing wrong except get hurt.
And the notion that “he’s not there every game” loses steam once you look beyond this season. Ramirez played at least 142 games in each of the previous five seasons, missing an average of just 10 games per year. That doesn’t qualify him for Iron Man status or anything, but it’s misguided to act as though Ramirez is a disabled list regular just because he’s currently injured. And if instead “he’s not there every game” refers to Ramirez’s mental state and/or effort level, then it’s an even bigger public call-out.
Morrison, incidentally, spent three weeks on the disabled list with a sprained foot back in May and has played exactly one more game than Ramirez this season, missing time earlier this week with a knee injury.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 12
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 11
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)