Aug 11, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
For just the third time in his Hall of Fame career, Mariano Rivera has given up homers in back-to-back relief appearances. However, It didn’t prevent him from notching his 30th save Thursday against the Angels.
Rivera, who gave up a two-run homer to Bobby Abreu in a loss to the Angels on Tuesday, came into a 6-2 game with two on and one out in the ninth inning today. He promptly allowed a three-run homer to Russell Branyan, making it 6-5. However, he was able to retire the next two batters he faced to end the contest.
The previous times Rivera gave up homers in consecutive appearances came in Aug. 2003 against the Orioles and in April 2009 versus the Red Sox and Tigers. It also happened to him twice as a rookie in 1995, but he started both games the first time and one game during the second streak.
On the positive side, Rivera’s save today gave him 14 seasons of at least 30, tying Trevor Hoffman‘s major league record. Lee Smith is the only other pitcher with double-digit 30-save seasons, and he finished with just the 10. Billy Wagner had nine.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 14
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 22
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car