Aug 11, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
For just the third time in his Hall of Fame career, Mariano Rivera has given up homers in back-to-back relief appearances. However, It didn’t prevent him from notching his 30th save Thursday against the Angels.
Rivera, who gave up a two-run homer to Bobby Abreu in a loss to the Angels on Tuesday, came into a 6-2 game with two on and one out in the ninth inning today. He promptly allowed a three-run homer to Russell Branyan, making it 6-5. However, he was able to retire the next two batters he faced to end the contest.
The previous times Rivera gave up homers in consecutive appearances came in Aug. 2003 against the Orioles and in April 2009 versus the Red Sox and Tigers. It also happened to him twice as a rookie in 1995, but he started both games the first time and one game during the second streak.
On the positive side, Rivera’s save today gave him 14 seasons of at least 30, tying Trevor Hoffman‘s major league record. Lee Smith is the only other pitcher with double-digit 30-save seasons, and he finished with just the 10. Billy Wagner had nine.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)