Aug 12, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Brennan Boesch‘s thumb injury is more serious than the Tigers initially hoped, as he was diagnosed with a second-degree sprain that will keep him out of the lineup for at least a few days.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Boesch saw a hand specialist yesterday, getting an MRI exam and X-rays, but he’ll need the swelling to go down before he can grip a bat with his non-throwing hand.
Boesch described himself as “cautiously optimistic” about avoiding the disabled list and getting back into the lineup by early next week, but in the meantime Ryan Raburn played left field in his absence yesterday.
Even before the injury Boesch was in a second-half slump for the second time in two seasons, although his dropoff after the All-Star break hasn’t been as extreme as the rookie version.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)