Aug 12, 2011, 10:23 AM EDT
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Brian McCann will begin a minor league rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A Gwinnett.
McCann hasn’t played since straining his left oblique during the extra-innings marathon against the Pirates back on July 26. While he originally hoped to begin a rehab assignment Wednesday and return from the disabled list tonight, the Braves ultimately decided to go the conservative route.
McCann is set to serve as the designated hitter tonight and will likely catch at least one game this weekend before being activated from the disabled list. The Braves hope to have him back in their starting lineup when they begin a four-game series against the Giants next week.
McCann, 27, is batting .306/.375/.514 with 18 homers, 55 RBI and an .889 OPS over 373 plate appearances this season. David Ross, known as one of the better backup catchers in the league, is batting just .196/.260/.304 with one home run and a 16/4 K/BB ratio over 52 plate appearances during his absence.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)