Aug 12, 2011, 10:23 AM EDT
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Brian McCann will begin a minor league rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A Gwinnett.
McCann hasn’t played since straining his left oblique during the extra-innings marathon against the Pirates back on July 26. While he originally hoped to begin a rehab assignment Wednesday and return from the disabled list tonight, the Braves ultimately decided to go the conservative route.
McCann is set to serve as the designated hitter tonight and will likely catch at least one game this weekend before being activated from the disabled list. The Braves hope to have him back in their starting lineup when they begin a four-game series against the Giants next week.
McCann, 27, is batting .306/.375/.514 with 18 homers, 55 RBI and an .889 OPS over 373 plate appearances this season. David Ross, known as one of the better backup catchers in the league, is batting just .196/.260/.304 with one home run and a 16/4 K/BB ratio over 52 plate appearances during his absence.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)