Aug 12, 2011, 10:23 AM EST
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Brian McCann will begin a minor league rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A Gwinnett.
McCann hasn’t played since straining his left oblique during the extra-innings marathon against the Pirates back on July 26. While he originally hoped to begin a rehab assignment Wednesday and return from the disabled list tonight, the Braves ultimately decided to go the conservative route.
McCann is set to serve as the designated hitter tonight and will likely catch at least one game this weekend before being activated from the disabled list. The Braves hope to have him back in their starting lineup when they begin a four-game series against the Giants next week.
McCann, 27, is batting .306/.375/.514 with 18 homers, 55 RBI and an .889 OPS over 373 plate appearances this season. David Ross, known as one of the better backup catchers in the league, is batting just .196/.260/.304 with one home run and a 16/4 K/BB ratio over 52 plate appearances during his absence.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)