Aug 12, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
Not only does Uggla have the longest hitting streak in the majors this season, but he now owns the longest hitting streak in Atlanta Braves’ history. With tonight’s homer he passed Rico Carty, who hit safely in 31 consecutive games in 1970.
Uggla entered tonight’s action batting .355 (44-for-124) with 12 homers and 29 RBIs during the streak, raising his batting average from .173 to .224 in the process. He’ll go for 33 in a row tomorrow with Randy Wells on the hill for the Cubs.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 37
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)