First-place Diamondbacks match last season’s win total in dramatic comeback

Aug 12, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

Chris Young AP

Paul Goldschmidt hit just .200 with 13 strikeouts in his first 30 at-bats, but the Diamondbacks called on the rookie slugger with two outs in the ninth inning last night and he delivered a monstrous pinch-hit homer that turned a 5-3 deficit into a 5-5 tie with the Astros.

An inning later Chris Young put the finishes touches on the comeback with his first homer in 114 at-bats dating back to July 2, giving the Diamondbacks a walk-off victory and a one-game lead over the Giants in the NL West.

Arizona is now 65-53, matching last season’s victory total with 44 games remaining, and as manager Kirk Gibson put it afterward: “That’ll make you smile.”

Here’s the walk-off video:

1. Ari Collins - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Prediction: the Giants become the first champions to miss the postseason since the ’06 Cardinals.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Good prediction Ari. I think we will find out more about the Diamondbacks in the next 10 days. Tough road trip…at Philadelphia, at Atlanta.

• Ari Collins - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM

The Nationals cause someone to have a brutal schedule? Heh.

Seems to me that even if the D’Backs are down by a game or two after that tough stretch, they’ll have plenty of time to make it up. Especially given two should-be-exciting serieses against the Giants in September.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I think you meant to respond to Chris, but yes the Nationals are a pretty decent team at home. I think they are 10 games over .500 in Washington. Combined with that it is the last 4 games after going to Philadelphia and Atlanta and yeah it will be tough for them.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I agree that the Nats don’t put the fear of God into anyone, but still in their park they are 32-23 which is pretty impressive. If the Diamondbacks come out of that 10 game trip any better than 5-5 I would surprised.

SF plays 10 of their last 13 on the road, including 3 in AZ…while AZ plays their last 9 games at home with 3 against the Pirates who appear to have quit.

All told, it is going to be a great finish in the NL West. All I was saying is that I wouldn’t count out the Giants after what they did last year.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I don’t know if I agree with Ari…it’s a little early to say that right now. Arizona has three at home against the Mets but then they come east for a brutal 10 game stretch with 3 against the Phillies and Braves, then 4 against the Nationals. During the same period, the Giants get 3 with Florida and 7…yes 7…games with the Astros.

If the Diamondbacks are still in first place on August 28th, I’ll agree with what Ari said above.

• philly56 - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Giants don’t have it easy either though – four in Atlanta next week while the Phils play the dbacks.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM

True, but the Giants still have 7 against the Astros. I see that Arizona also has 8 against the Padres, who are pretty bad, but those are divisional games.

I guess the question is this…gun to your head, who is in first place when these two teams meet on September 2nd in San Francisco? Looking at the next stretch of games for both teams, I would not be surprised if the Giants are 2 or 3 games up by then.

2. Ari Collins - Aug 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I don’t know why some people complain about not enough playoff races. I mean, sure, the East and WCs are pretty much decided in each league, with the minor matter of which AL Beast team wins the division and which has to settle for the WC. But the other four playoff spots are totally up for grabs, with a 1-game lead, a 2-game lead, a 3-game lead, and a 4-game lead. (Weird.)

Gonna be a great last 6 weeks.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I agree 100%. Assuming the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies and Braves are all likely in. Plus, Detroit(3 up) and Milwaukee(4 up) are almost likely there considering how much better they are than the other scrubs in their divisions. Still, I would say Tex/LAA and SF/AZ are very compelling and will go down to the wire, but otherwise, we may be adding MIl/Det to the lock status within a couple weeks.

Either way, I agree that even two close races down to the wire makes for great baseball drama.

• marshmallowsnake - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Tight race in the NL west…and no one in Phoenix will be there to watch it. I went to the game last Friday and there were maybe 20k people there…

3. marshmallowsnake - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Living in Phoenix, I thought that the D’Backs made a mistake signing their young players to multi-year deals…Snyder, Reynolds, Tracey, and Young were/are busts…Upton is the only one that is performing well.

• 5thbase - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM

For an absolutely fantastic center fielder Chris Young hits fine. Impatient fans who just want to see bats are ruining the game.

• marshmallowsnake - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM

• marshmallowsnake - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM

And thanks for not commenting on any of the other names that I listed. Spot on chap!

• clydeserra - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Chris young is a better than league average bat with great defense in Center field. What more do you want?

• adcoop22 - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Not to mention he has made an all-star team. More than can be said about Tracey and Snyder, yes…but the DBacks aren’t signing their paychecks anymore either.

• 5thbase - Aug 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM

“Snyder, Reynolds, Tracey, and Young were/are busts”

Regardless of the other 3 names on the list and what they’ve done, you’re retarded for having Young included there with that verbiage. A bust doesn’t describe someone who would easily make twice as much on the free agent market as they are under their current contract. Moron. Go ahead and name the legit defensive center fielders who hit better than Young. There are a few, but if you can’t come up with at least a dozen names you’re an idiot for calling him a bust at $5.6M a year.

Furthermore, the other guys you listed contributed while they were here and none of them got huge contracts. Reynolds was the worst contract of the bunch in my opinion, but they were even able to flip that and get one of their best relievers (and one of the biggest single reasons they’re in the hunt … 8/8 in save chances and absolutely money in the setup role.) So basically, you have no point at all chap.

“Oh, I am sorry. I thought offense was a part of the game? My fault for not living on the same planet you do.”

You’re right. Since he’s not one of the top 4 hitting CF in all of baseball he’s a bust even though he’s better defensively than all the ones who are better hitters and he’s only making 5.6 a year.

4. shmed105 - Aug 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM

As a Phillies fan, I’d rather play against Arizona. Although I’d also love to smack the Giants around too. Get back at them for last year.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5116)