Aug 12, 2011, 11:43 AM EDT
When he’s not busy tweeting about his depressing love life Jose Canseco manages the Yuma Scorpions of the independent North American Baseball League, which believe it or not isn’t even close to the weirdest part of this story detailed by Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times.
One of the Yuma players is Tony Phillips, who was teammates with Canseco on the A’s in the 1980s, last played in the majors way back in 1999, and is now 51 years. And not only is he still playing, Phillips is in good enough shape to get into brawl.
But wait, it gets crazier. Monday he got into a fight with Chico Outlaws manager and former Dodgers outfielder Mike Marshall, who’s 51 years old and played against Phillips and Canseco in the 1988 World Series.
(Dilbeck also notes that Marshall dated Belinda Carlisle back in the 1980s, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fight but is nonetheless very impressive for anyone familiar with the Go-Go’s.)
The 5-foot-9 Phillips punched the 6-foot-5 Marshall, who’s now pressing battery charges, and both men have been suspended for three games. And here’s video of the craziness:
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)