Aug 12, 2011, 2:18 AM EDT
The San Francisco Giants take on the Florida Marlins in a three-game series beginning Friday.
At first glance, this might not seem like much of a series, what with the Marlins entering the weekend on a seven-game losing streak, and the Giants preparing to face the talented Atlanta Braves early next week. But then we are reminded that this is the first meeting between the two teams since late May, a fateful series that saw San Francisco lose star catcher Buster Posey on a controversial play at the plate.
So much has changed with these two teams, though. Jack McKeon is running the show in Florida and Cousins has been out since June with a back injury. And the Giants have replaced Posey’s bat – if not his leadership – with Carlos Beltran (who is also now hurt).
So now, with the teams meeting for the first time since then, should we expect some fireworks? In a word, no.
“We’ve moved on,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggerly of the San Jose Mercury News. “We have bigger things to be worried about. That’s trying to win and get to the postseason. What happened is behind us.”
More from Baggerly:
Posey, after two surgeries to repair torn ankle ligaments, isn’t looking back, either. He declined multiple interview requests as the Florida series loomed. Posey is only now beginning to put weight on his left foot, but other wounds haven’t healed. He still hasn’t reached out to return Cousins’ apologetic phone call.
“Buster wants to move forward, and I’m proud of how these guys have not dwelled on what happened,” Bochy said. “When you lose your starting catcher and cleanup hitter, it’s devastating.”
In truth, the Giants have a lot more to worry about than the Florida Marlins. With a dramatic victory over the Houston Astros on Thursday night, the D-backs have taken a full game lead in the NL West, and they don’t appear to be going anywhere.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)