Aug 12, 2011, 12:18 AM EDT
While Kyle Davies’ performance certainly justified the Royals’ decision to release him, the timing was curious. It wasn’t like he could do any harm while on the disabled list because of a sore shoulder.
Except apparently he could.
Davies was arrested early Tuesday morning in Tampa on charges of disorderly intoxication, the Kansas City Star reports. The Royals released Davies the next day to make room for catcher Salvador Perez on the 40-man roster.
Royals GM Dayton Moore denied knowing anything about the charges in advance of the decision to release the right-hander, saying he didn’t find out until Thursday afternoon. Davies, though, ackowledged the incident.
“I embarrassed myself and my family,” he said. “I made a foolish mistake. I’ll learn from it, and I’ll get past it.”
Davies was in Florida rehabbing a sore shoulder and wasn’t expected to rejoin the Royals until September. He was 1-9 with a 6.75 ERA in 13 starts for Kansas City this season.
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 18
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 36
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (109)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save