Aug 12, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
Adam Dunn‘s historic ineptitude against left-handed pitching has convinced Ozzie Guillen to frequently bench him versus southpaws, but the manager said yesterday that he’s not yet to the point of pinch-hitting for Dunn once he’s already in the lineup:
I would rather put him on the bench against lefties and give him some time than pinch-hit for him. Every time this guy is at the plate, I have confidence and think he’s going to do it. In the meanwhile, unless I have Konerko or Quentin on the bench, who else is it going to be? Lillibridge?
I imagine Brent Lillibridge picking up the newspaper this morning over breakfast, reading that quote, and just shaking his head.
Dunn is 3-for-78 versus lefties (seriously, three hits in 78 at-bats) and Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune notes that he set a record yesterday by going hitless with at least three strikeouts for the 17th time this season. And he’s only started 95 games.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)