Aug 12, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
Adam Dunn‘s historic ineptitude against left-handed pitching has convinced Ozzie Guillen to frequently bench him versus southpaws, but the manager said yesterday that he’s not yet to the point of pinch-hitting for Dunn once he’s already in the lineup:
I would rather put him on the bench against lefties and give him some time than pinch-hit for him. Every time this guy is at the plate, I have confidence and think he’s going to do it. In the meanwhile, unless I have Konerko or Quentin on the bench, who else is it going to be? Lillibridge?
I imagine Brent Lillibridge picking up the newspaper this morning over breakfast, reading that quote, and just shaking his head.
Dunn is 3-for-78 versus lefties (seriously, three hits in 78 at-bats) and Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune notes that he set a record yesterday by going hitless with at least three strikeouts for the 17th time this season. And he’s only started 95 games.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)