Aug 12, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
Adam Dunn‘s historic ineptitude against left-handed pitching has convinced Ozzie Guillen to frequently bench him versus southpaws, but the manager said yesterday that he’s not yet to the point of pinch-hitting for Dunn once he’s already in the lineup:
I would rather put him on the bench against lefties and give him some time than pinch-hit for him. Every time this guy is at the plate, I have confidence and think he’s going to do it. In the meanwhile, unless I have Konerko or Quentin on the bench, who else is it going to be? Lillibridge?
I imagine Brent Lillibridge picking up the newspaper this morning over breakfast, reading that quote, and just shaking his head.
Dunn is 3-for-78 versus lefties (seriously, three hits in 78 at-bats) and Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune notes that he set a record yesterday by going hitless with at least three strikeouts for the 17th time this season. And he’s only started 95 games.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17