Aug 12, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
Adam Dunn‘s historic ineptitude against left-handed pitching has convinced Ozzie Guillen to frequently bench him versus southpaws, but the manager said yesterday that he’s not yet to the point of pinch-hitting for Dunn once he’s already in the lineup:
I would rather put him on the bench against lefties and give him some time than pinch-hit for him. Every time this guy is at the plate, I have confidence and think he’s going to do it. In the meanwhile, unless I have Konerko or Quentin on the bench, who else is it going to be? Lillibridge?
I imagine Brent Lillibridge picking up the newspaper this morning over breakfast, reading that quote, and just shaking his head.
Dunn is 3-for-78 versus lefties (seriously, three hits in 78 at-bats) and Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune notes that he set a record yesterday by going hitless with at least three strikeouts for the 17th time this season. And he’s only started 95 games.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)