Report: Johnny Damon clears waivers, eligible to be traded

Aug 12, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

Johnny Damon, Ben Zobrist AP

Literally hundreds of players will be placed on waivers this month and a high percentage of them will go unclaimed, making them eligible to be traded.

According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com Johnny Damon is one of those players, as Tampa Bay successfully passed the left fielder/designated hitter through waivers unclaimed.

Stark notes that the Rays didn’t draw much interest in Damon before the July 31 deadline, but he might become a little more attractive to teams as the pool of available players shrinks.

Of course, his production is also shrinking, as Damon has hit just .262 with nine homers in 108 games for a .704 OPS that ranks as his worst since 2001. At age 37 he certainly fits the “veteran bat” mold that some teams seek, but Damon is 21-for-102 (.206) with zero homers in 25 games since the All-Star break.

At this point the Rays would probably be thrilled to get a mid-level prospect for him.

1. yankeesgameday - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Huh. I bet Boston picks him up and you see Damon pinch hitting against Rivera sometime in the ALCS.

• marshmallowsnake - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM

God, I hope not. I still have not forgiven him for wearing pinstripes!

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Phillies, this is your bench guy, if he wants to accept that role and get a chance at another ring. Ninja, pick up the phone and call.

• marshmallowsnake - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM

No, Jack Cust is their bench guy.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Jack Cust can take a flying leap. This is the guy. Damon is my man. I would take Damon over Thome or Giambi in a heartbeat.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM

The Phillies should pick him up and drop Ross Gload.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Exactly, Good Doctor. 1 or 2 middle level propects will do it. Damon has proven playoff experience and comes up in the clutch. Good clubhouse guy too. We are all in it this year. Ruben, make it happen.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM

No way for 1-2 middle level prospects. Maybe the useless Matt Rizzotti but that is about it.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM

It will take at least 1 mid-level prospect to get him. I don’t think the Rays are just going to give him away. I say do it. Remember, Ed Wade unfortunately is not the GM of the Rays.

I don’t have faith in the value of propects as I once did.

• hittfamily - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

He is signed through next year at 7 million. I doubt anyone takes him off our hands.

4. kopy - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’m gonna say Brewers. Nobody ever talks about them, and I can see them pulling a total wild card move.

• dcburden - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Maybe Beltran insurance? Surely Sabean wants to insure his investment of Wheeler with further whipper-snappers.

5. phukyouk - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

if hes on the cheap the Yanks should grab him. im shocked that Mats did not hit the waiver wire

• 18thstreet - Aug 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

That’s pretty funny. Not what you posted, but that you called a poster out for a grammar lesson. Are you serious? 18thstreet? I’m assuming whith that handle that you are a New York guy. And you thumbed up your own comment, I see. You must be a winner.

• crpls - Aug 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

If one types/writes like a child, why should they be treated as anything but such?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:05 PM

crpls,

I guess you are right being that 12 people thumbed down my comment. I just don’t think that a guy posting, however grammar challenged the commenter may be, should have a English lesson link posted to the reply, at least without some baseball talk involved to what phukyouk was stating.

• hittfamily - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I post off my iphone all the time. Punctuation and upper case are a bitch.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Nah biceps…I’m with you on this one. This is a comment section on a blog not a grammar lesson. Furthermore, people who post on here probably come from a variety of different education levels and ages. They don’t need grammar police throwing crap back in their face because of poor grammar or typos. Hell, I make typos all the time and since there is no edit function they are impossible to correct. Grammar board English teachers annoy the piss out of me. It is just a passive aggressive way to put people down.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

See, I did it right there. Message board English teachers not grammar board obviously.

• phukyouk - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

• crpls - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Typos are completely different from grammar, though.

I haven’t bothered with the grammar nazi stuff in ages, but if I see someone typing like they’re 7, I read it as coming from a 7 year old.

I think you’ll find that if most people were to choose their favorite commenters almost anywhere, the most chosen would be people who spell and punctuate correctly. It may not be consciously because of that, however, but there’s still a reason it would be true.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM

And if one acts like a pretentious clown, why should they not be treated as such?

• crpls - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Posting a link was a bit over the top snarky, but hardly pretentious to want someone to use proper grammar.

If Craig, Aaron, Matthew, etc. all typed lazily because “it’s just the internet” nobody would take this site seriously. Same can be said for any blog isn’t an obvious satire.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Fine, I can accept that. However, there is no reason to make grammar corrections to others. None. If people want to bang on the blogger for poor grammar, whatever…they are paid to be professionals, but the posters are just regular people from a myriad of backgrounds. Also, some post on various mobile devices that can be super tricky to operate. I just don’t see a need to be pretentious about it. I can see if they poster with the poor grammar is being a jerk but this guy wasn’t. It was just his opinion. No need to be pretentious.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Seriously man, there is a big difference between the paid blogger and the people in the comment blog.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Comment section not comment blog. I need to start editing. :(

• crpls - Aug 12, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Of course there’s a difference, but if this comment section was full of lazy people who use “u” “y” or lack puncuation and capitals, half the people would leave.

And the smartphone thing is just lame: No smartphone makes it THAT difficult to get capitals, and only slightly more difficult to get punctuation marks.

Again, if someone wants to be lazy, that’s fine, I’m very unlikely to point it out, but it will be hard for me to take you seriously if it’s over the top lazy.

• crpls - Aug 12, 2011 at 6:00 PM

see? typo on the first punctuation!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Then don’t take them seriously, that is fine. I don’t take a quarter of the posters seriously and I am sure half don’t take me seriously. I just don’t see the need to point out grammar mistakes. Listen, you seem like a decent guy…I am sorry for calling you a pretentious clown. I shouldn’t have written that. We are just are going to have to disagree about this. If you correct grammar in the future, I won’t make any hostile comments about it. Again, sorry for calling you a pretentious clown.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 12, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I will interject here. First of all, 18thstreet is a New York clown that is trying to downplay the Phillies with grammar rules because that’s the best he’s got. That’s all he has to downgrade what they are doing. No one, and I mean no one, can stop the Phillies. They are a nuclear bomb that will explode on any team they face. Deal with it, anti-Philly people. We own baseball and now football. What else you got?

• jimbo1949 - Aug 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

cheezit youk its the grammarcops

6. mrfloydpink - Aug 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Damon just hasn’t been an effective player since he stopped roiding.

7. phukyouk - Aug 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

You spelled posada Wrong

8. bjones036 - Aug 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Cleveland should think about picking him up if he can play left field with injuries their outfield is depleted shelly duncan and ziek caberra are awful not to mention fukudome hasn’t had anything but garbage base hits

9. Walk - Aug 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM

You guys can quit with the giant speculation. Johnny D is a spring chicken compared to the type of veteran they would need.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3133)