Aug 12, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT
Huston Street probably won’t be breaking the record for most homers allowed by a closer, but unfortunately the Rockies it’s because he was placed on the disabled list with a strained triceps muscle.
To take Street’s spot on the roster the Rockies activated Jason Giambi, who’s been on the DL since July 26 with a quadriceps injury. He’ll resume filling a bench role behind Todd Helton and the Rockies could look to trade him before August 31, with Giambi saying previously that he’d like to re-sign with Colorado this offseason even if he’s moved.
As for replacing Street in the closer role, Rafael Betancourt is presumably the favorite for saves, particularly after the Rockies said they’re not looking to deal the 36-year-old right-hander. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Street’s injury is not believed to be serious, so he should be back for most of September.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)