Aug 12, 2011, 11:11 AM EDT
Shin-Soo Choo was scheduled to come off the disabled list next week, but in a surprise move the Indians activated him today about six weeks into what was initially an 8-10 week recovery timetable for a broken left thumb.
They’re obviously confident that Choo is healthy, but he certainly didn’t show it by going 0-for-6 with two strikeouts in two rehab games at low Single-A.
To make room for Choo on the roster the Indians designated Austin Kearns for assignment after the veteran outfielder hit just .200 with two homers and a .589 OPS in 57 games. Kearns is only owed another $400,000 or so this season, so he’s cheap enough that another team could pick him up as a right-handed bench bat if they’re convinced he still has some upside, but he hasn’t cracked a .750 OPS since 2007.
Choo was also struggling before the injury, hitting .244 with a .687 OPS in 72 games after topping a .300 batting average and .875 OPS in each of the past three seasons. If healthy he’ll provide a huge boost to the Indians as they try to reclaim the AL Central lead, but the early return will be worth keeping an eye on.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)