Aug 12, 2011, 11:11 AM EDT
Shin-Soo Choo was scheduled to come off the disabled list next week, but in a surprise move the Indians activated him today about six weeks into what was initially an 8-10 week recovery timetable for a broken left thumb.
They’re obviously confident that Choo is healthy, but he certainly didn’t show it by going 0-for-6 with two strikeouts in two rehab games at low Single-A.
To make room for Choo on the roster the Indians designated Austin Kearns for assignment after the veteran outfielder hit just .200 with two homers and a .589 OPS in 57 games. Kearns is only owed another $400,000 or so this season, so he’s cheap enough that another team could pick him up as a right-handed bench bat if they’re convinced he still has some upside, but he hasn’t cracked a .750 OPS since 2007.
Choo was also struggling before the injury, hitting .244 with a .687 OPS in 72 games after topping a .300 batting average and .875 OPS in each of the past three seasons. If healthy he’ll provide a huge boost to the Indians as they try to reclaim the AL Central lead, but the early return will be worth keeping an eye on.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)