Aug 12, 2011, 5:27 PM EST
The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec describes Alburquerque as going “down head-first” with his feet flailing.
As the cart was quickly brought on the the field, Alburqueque was able to stand up with assistance. Still, according to Gage, he was in obvious pain and the players around him seemed shaken.
Alburquerque, a 25-year-old rookie, has been one of the Tigers’ best relievers this season, amassing a 2.19 ERA and striking out 57 in 37 innings.
Update: Zrebiec reports that Alburquerque is being taken to a local hospital for a CT scan.
Update II: Alburquerque was diagnosed with a concussion and will remain hospitalized overnight for observation.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)