Aug 12, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec describes Alburquerque as going “down head-first” with his feet flailing.
As the cart was quickly brought on the the field, Alburqueque was able to stand up with assistance. Still, according to Gage, he was in obvious pain and the players around him seemed shaken.
Alburquerque, a 25-year-old rookie, has been one of the Tigers’ best relievers this season, amassing a 2.19 ERA and striking out 57 in 37 innings.
Update: Zrebiec reports that Alburquerque is being taken to a local hospital for a CT scan.
Update II: Alburquerque was diagnosed with a concussion and will remain hospitalized overnight for observation.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 7
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 26
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)