Aug 12, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec describes Alburquerque as going “down head-first” with his feet flailing.
As the cart was quickly brought on the the field, Alburqueque was able to stand up with assistance. Still, according to Gage, he was in obvious pain and the players around him seemed shaken.
Alburquerque, a 25-year-old rookie, has been one of the Tigers’ best relievers this season, amassing a 2.19 ERA and striking out 57 in 37 innings.
Update: Zrebiec reports that Alburquerque is being taken to a local hospital for a CT scan.
Update II: Alburquerque was diagnosed with a concussion and will remain hospitalized overnight for observation.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (239)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)