Aug 12, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec describes Alburquerque as going “down head-first” with his feet flailing.
As the cart was quickly brought on the the field, Alburqueque was able to stand up with assistance. Still, according to Gage, he was in obvious pain and the players around him seemed shaken.
Alburquerque, a 25-year-old rookie, has been one of the Tigers’ best relievers this season, amassing a 2.19 ERA and striking out 57 in 37 innings.
Update: Zrebiec reports that Alburquerque is being taken to a local hospital for a CT scan.
Update II: Alburquerque was diagnosed with a concussion and will remain hospitalized overnight for observation.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)