Aug 12, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec describes Alburquerque as going “down head-first” with his feet flailing.
As the cart was quickly brought on the the field, Alburqueque was able to stand up with assistance. Still, according to Gage, he was in obvious pain and the players around him seemed shaken.
Alburquerque, a 25-year-old rookie, has been one of the Tigers’ best relievers this season, amassing a 2.19 ERA and striking out 57 in 37 innings.
Update: Zrebiec reports that Alburquerque is being taken to a local hospital for a CT scan.
Update II: Alburquerque was diagnosed with a concussion and will remain hospitalized overnight for observation.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)