Aug 13, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT
The Tigers have placed reliever Al Alburquerque on the 7-day disabled list after he suffered a concussion when he was hit with a line drive off the bat of Orioles’ infielder Robert Andino during batting practice yesterday.
Alburquerque was carted off the field and taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he was held overnight for observation after doctors reported finding some internal bleeding.
“It wasn’t pretty,” Leyland said. “It wasn’t any glancing blow. He got smoked, bad. They think it’s going to be fine, but it’s nothing to fool around with.”
Alburquerque, 25, has a 2.19 ERA and 57/27 K/BB ratio over 37 innings this season. The rookie right-hander has held opposing batters to a .141 batting average.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11