Aug 13, 2011, 11:50 AM EST
The Tigers have placed reliever Al Alburquerque on the 7-day disabled list after he suffered a concussion when he was hit with a line drive off the bat of Orioles’ infielder Robert Andino during batting practice yesterday.
Alburquerque was carted off the field and taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he was held overnight for observation after doctors reported finding some internal bleeding.
“It wasn’t pretty,” Leyland said. “It wasn’t any glancing blow. He got smoked, bad. They think it’s going to be fine, but it’s nothing to fool around with.”
Alburquerque, 25, has a 2.19 ERA and 57/27 K/BB ratio over 37 innings this season. The rookie right-hander has held opposing batters to a .141 batting average.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27