Aug 13, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT
The Tigers have placed reliever Al Alburquerque on the 7-day disabled list after he suffered a concussion when he was hit with a line drive off the bat of Orioles’ infielder Robert Andino during batting practice yesterday.
Alburquerque was carted off the field and taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he was held overnight for observation after doctors reported finding some internal bleeding.
“It wasn’t pretty,” Leyland said. “It wasn’t any glancing blow. He got smoked, bad. They think it’s going to be fine, but it’s nothing to fool around with.”
Alburquerque, 25, has a 2.19 ERA and 57/27 K/BB ratio over 37 innings this season. The rookie right-hander has held opposing batters to a .141 batting average.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)