Aug 13, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
A-Rod went 2-for-3 with a solo homer last night in his first minor league rehab game with High-A Tampa. Serving as the designated hitter, he slugged a solo homer in his first at-bat in the first inning, doubled in the third and struck out looking in his final at-bat in the fifth.
Rodriguez was homerless over his final 85 at-bats before hitting the disabled list, but told Chris Girandola of MLB.com that he is hopeful he will be able to hit the ball with more authority following knee surgery.
“I wasn’t driving the ball like I was used to, so for me, the home run meant a little more than just a home run because the last several weeks I was playing, I wasn’t able to drive the ball. My team expects me to hit the ball out of the park and hit with a lot more production and that’s what I expect out of myself, too. So hopefully I can come back and hit the ground running and help my team win the division.”
The plan is for Rodriguez to play again today and work out tomorrow before taking the day off Monday. He will then play with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Tuesday and Wednesday before rejoining the Yankees next Thursday night against the Twins.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)