Aug 13, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
A-Rod went 2-for-3 with a solo homer last night in his first minor league rehab game with High-A Tampa. Serving as the designated hitter, he slugged a solo homer in his first at-bat in the first inning, doubled in the third and struck out looking in his final at-bat in the fifth.
Rodriguez was homerless over his final 85 at-bats before hitting the disabled list, but told Chris Girandola of MLB.com that he is hopeful he will be able to hit the ball with more authority following knee surgery.
“I wasn’t driving the ball like I was used to, so for me, the home run meant a little more than just a home run because the last several weeks I was playing, I wasn’t able to drive the ball. My team expects me to hit the ball out of the park and hit with a lot more production and that’s what I expect out of myself, too. So hopefully I can come back and hit the ground running and help my team win the division.”
The plan is for Rodriguez to play again today and work out tomorrow before taking the day off Monday. He will then play with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Tuesday and Wednesday before rejoining the Yankees next Thursday night against the Twins.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)