Aug 13, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
I stuck up for Aramis Ramirez when Cubs analyst and former teammate Todd Hollandsworth criticized his lack of a leadership role on a radio show Friday. I’m sort of regretting that now.
Asked to respond to Hollandsworth’s comments by the Chicago Sun-Times, Ramirez came up with this:
One thing I got to say is I’ve never seen him in the clubhouse, so I don’t know how he comes up with that. He should ask the young guys before he makes that kind of statement. Talk to Barney, talk to Castro, and see what they say. That’s all I’ve got to say.
Oh, and one [more] thing I’d like to say: I wouldn’t trade my career for his. I think I’ve got a way better career than he did.
Well, duh. But why go there, Aramis? Hollandsworth never put his playing career up against yours. No one has.
But now that you have, here’s a truth: major league teams still wanted Hollandsworth around long after he was through as a productive regular. We’ll see if the same is true of you in a few years.
If you still can’t get enough of this story, Hollandsworth followed up on his Ramirez radio comments on Comcast SportsNet prior to Ramirez’s response last night. CSN Chicago has the video.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)