Aug 13, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
I stuck up for Aramis Ramirez when Cubs analyst and former teammate Todd Hollandsworth criticized his lack of a leadership role on a radio show Friday. I’m sort of regretting that now.
Asked to respond to Hollandsworth’s comments by the Chicago Sun-Times, Ramirez came up with this:
One thing I got to say is I’ve never seen him in the clubhouse, so I don’t know how he comes up with that. He should ask the young guys before he makes that kind of statement. Talk to Barney, talk to Castro, and see what they say. That’s all I’ve got to say.
Oh, and one [more] thing I’d like to say: I wouldn’t trade my career for his. I think I’ve got a way better career than he did.
Well, duh. But why go there, Aramis? Hollandsworth never put his playing career up against yours. No one has.
But now that you have, here’s a truth: major league teams still wanted Hollandsworth around long after he was through as a productive regular. We’ll see if the same is true of you in a few years.
If you still can’t get enough of this story, Hollandsworth followed up on his Ramirez radio comments on Comcast SportsNet prior to Ramirez’s response last night. CSN Chicago has the video.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (90)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)