Aramis Ramirez wouldn’t trade his career for Todd Hollandsworth’s

Aug 13, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

Aramis Ramirez Getty Images

I stuck up for Aramis Ramirez when Cubs analyst and former teammate Todd Hollandsworth criticized his lack of a leadership role on a radio show Friday.  I’m sort of regretting that now.

Asked to respond to Hollandsworth’s comments by the Chicago Sun-Times, Ramirez came up with this:

One thing I got to say is I’ve never seen him in the clubhouse, so I don’t know how he comes up with that. He should ask the young guys before he makes that kind of statement. Talk to Barney, talk to Castro, and see what they say. That’s all I’ve got to say.

Oh, and one [more] thing I’d like to say: I wouldn’t trade my career for his. I think I’ve got a way better career than he did.

Well, duh. But why go there, Aramis? Hollandsworth never put his playing career up against yours.  No one has.

But now that you have, here’s a truth: major league teams still wanted Hollandsworth around long after he was through as a productive regular. We’ll see if the same is true of you in a few years.

If you still can’t get enough of this story, Hollandsworth followed up on his Ramirez radio comments on Comcast SportsNet prior to Ramirez’s response last night.  CSN Chicago has the video.

1. rhmurphy - Aug 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Todd Hollandsworth was through as a productive regular when he was 24 years old.

2. Roger Moore - Aug 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I think the teams were after Hollandsworth because they kept expecting him to bounce back to his ROY form, not because they valued his leadership. Guys who are being hired for their leadership don’t get traded in the middle of the season as often as Hollandsworth did.

3. vaiking - Aug 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Aramis Ramirez has already played more seasons and more games than Hollandsworth; even though teams wanted him around long after he was a productive regular. Bag on his leadership skills all you want, but Ramirez has been pretty productive for a decade.

4. normb11 - Aug 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM

“major league teams still wanted Hollandsworth around long after he was through as a productive regular.”
    As a regular, Hollandsworth has ONE season of a wRC+ over 100.

5. tuftsb - Aug 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Which action demonstrates the practice of good journalism – going into the locker room to interview players or going on a radio program to utter unsubstantiated and unquantified inanities about grit, hustle and leadership?.

As for hitting Todd with the quality of career cheap shot: Hollandsworth with Cubs – ops+ 99, war 0.1.

6. The Baseball Idiot - Aug 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM

It’s nice that you guys are feeding the fire by not letting it die. I guess this is what they call a slow news-sports weekend, what with a full-slate of games on the waiver deadline approaching.

7. mgflolox - Aug 14, 2011 at 3:53 AM

Well, sure, because teams have never employed scrappy white guys well past their productive playing years.

8. purnellmeagrejr - Aug 14, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Sports writers (includes bloggers) HATE it when anyone brings up either the significance of actually playing the game as a qualification for commenting. HATE IT!!!! An insecure and backbiting lot.

9. Kevin S. - Aug 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that’s a pretty awesome Eff You back at Hollandsworth?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5374)