Aug 13, 2011, 10:25 AM EST
We don’t get to say this very often, but last night was a pretty good night to be a Nationals fan. No joke.
In addition to the major league club defeating the first-place Phillies, Stephen Strasburg tossed three shutout innings in his second minor league rehab start and Bryce Harper slugged a walk-off home run for Double-A Harrisburg.
Just calling it a walk-off home run would just be underselling it, though. Harper crushed it well beyond the batter’s eye in straightaway center field. No word on the exact distance, but one Senators’ coach estimates it traveled 480 feet.
It’s nice to link to a video of Harper doing something positive on the baseball field, although I can’t help but hold my breath every time someone jumps on home plate during a walkoff celebration. Thanks a lot, Kendrys Morales.
Check out the video of the home run, courtesy of CSNWashington.com.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 62
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 39
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)