Aug 13, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
We don’t get to say this very often, but last night was a pretty good night to be a Nationals fan. No joke.
In addition to the major league club defeating the first-place Phillies, Stephen Strasburg tossed three shutout innings in his second minor league rehab start and Bryce Harper slugged a walk-off home run for Double-A Harrisburg.
Just calling it a walk-off home run would just be underselling it, though. Harper crushed it well beyond the batter’s eye in straightaway center field. No word on the exact distance, but one Senators’ coach estimates it traveled 480 feet.
It’s nice to link to a video of Harper doing something positive on the baseball field, although I can’t help but hold my breath every time someone jumps on home plate during a walkoff celebration. Thanks a lot, Kendrys Morales.
Check out the video of the home run, courtesy of CSNWashington.com.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)