Aug 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
After giving up three runs on six hits and four walks over five innings in a loss to the Nationals last night, Cole Hamels told John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com that he is going through a dead-arm phase.
“It’s just one of those times in the year where you’re traveling and pitching a lot of innings, things kind of amount and you just have to get through it,” Hamels explained. “If you’re able to battle through it and things go well, you don’t notice it and you keep on moving.”
Hamels, who tossed his second complete game of the season in his previous outing last Saturday against the Giants, was pulled after throwing just 88 pitches. The southpaw averaged just 88.55 mph on his fastball last night and topped out at 91.6 mph, according to Brooks Baseball. He is averaging 91.1 mph on his fastball this season.
While Hamels downplayed the situation following the game, Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he had trouble getting loose because of stiffness in his left shoulder. While the results have been there, this doesn’t appear to be an isolated incident for Hamels, as Zolecki notes that the velocity on his fastball has dropped in each of his last five starts.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 71
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)