Aug 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
After giving up three runs on six hits and four walks over five innings in a loss to the Nationals last night, Cole Hamels told John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com that he is going through a dead-arm phase.
“It’s just one of those times in the year where you’re traveling and pitching a lot of innings, things kind of amount and you just have to get through it,” Hamels explained. “If you’re able to battle through it and things go well, you don’t notice it and you keep on moving.”
Hamels, who tossed his second complete game of the season in his previous outing last Saturday against the Giants, was pulled after throwing just 88 pitches. The southpaw averaged just 88.55 mph on his fastball last night and topped out at 91.6 mph, according to Brooks Baseball. He is averaging 91.1 mph on his fastball this season.
While Hamels downplayed the situation following the game, Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he had trouble getting loose because of stiffness in his left shoulder. While the results have been there, this doesn’t appear to be an isolated incident for Hamels, as Zolecki notes that the velocity on his fastball has dropped in each of his last five starts.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)