Aug 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
After giving up three runs on six hits and four walks over five innings in a loss to the Nationals last night, Cole Hamels told John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com that he is going through a dead-arm phase.
“It’s just one of those times in the year where you’re traveling and pitching a lot of innings, things kind of amount and you just have to get through it,” Hamels explained. “If you’re able to battle through it and things go well, you don’t notice it and you keep on moving.”
Hamels, who tossed his second complete game of the season in his previous outing last Saturday against the Giants, was pulled after throwing just 88 pitches. The southpaw averaged just 88.55 mph on his fastball last night and topped out at 91.6 mph, according to Brooks Baseball. He is averaging 91.1 mph on his fastball this season.
While Hamels downplayed the situation following the game, Phillies manager Charlie Manuel told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he had trouble getting loose because of stiffness in his left shoulder. While the results have been there, this doesn’t appear to be an isolated incident for Hamels, as Zolecki notes that the velocity on his fastball has dropped in each of his last five starts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)