Aug 13, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
Ike Davis has already been ruled out for the rest of the season, but he is still awaiting word about whether the bone bruise in his left ankle will require surgery.
According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, Davis said before last night’s game that a decision will likely be made by Labor Day in order to ensure that he will have enough time to get ready for the start of next season. While microfracture surgery remains a possibility, Davis is hoping he will need a less serious procedure.
“I’ve just been in limbo for so long, I’m just looking forward to an answer. But they don’t have an answer until they go in there and then they find out what’s really going on in the joint.
“I’d rather not have surgery. I would like to avoid it, but if I can’t get better without it, I have to have surgery. To tell you the truth, I wish — obviously that I didn’t have to — but also, just waiting to have surgery and rehabbing to have surgery, it would be nice to just get it done if I have to have it done. The waiting game is kind of getting old.”
Davis appeared primed for a breakthrough season prior to colliding with teammate David Wright on May 10, batting .302/.383/.543 with seven home runs, 25 RBI and a .925 OPS over his first 149 plate appearances. While surgery will hopefully get his career back on track, the 24-year-old first baseman has been told by doctors that his ankle is “probably never going to feel the same.”
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)