Aug 13, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Ike Davis has already been ruled out for the rest of the season, but he is still awaiting word about whether the bone bruise in his left ankle will require surgery.
According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, Davis said before last night’s game that a decision will likely be made by Labor Day in order to ensure that he will have enough time to get ready for the start of next season. While microfracture surgery remains a possibility, Davis is hoping he will need a less serious procedure.
“I’ve just been in limbo for so long, I’m just looking forward to an answer. But they don’t have an answer until they go in there and then they find out what’s really going on in the joint.
“I’d rather not have surgery. I would like to avoid it, but if I can’t get better without it, I have to have surgery. To tell you the truth, I wish — obviously that I didn’t have to — but also, just waiting to have surgery and rehabbing to have surgery, it would be nice to just get it done if I have to have it done. The waiting game is kind of getting old.”
Davis appeared primed for a breakthrough season prior to colliding with teammate David Wright on May 10, batting .302/.383/.543 with seven home runs, 25 RBI and a .925 OPS over his first 149 plate appearances. While surgery will hopefully get his career back on track, the 24-year-old first baseman has been told by doctors that his ankle is “probably never going to feel the same.”
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)