Aug 13, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Ike Davis has already been ruled out for the rest of the season, but he is still awaiting word about whether the bone bruise in his left ankle will require surgery.
According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, Davis said before last night’s game that a decision will likely be made by Labor Day in order to ensure that he will have enough time to get ready for the start of next season. While microfracture surgery remains a possibility, Davis is hoping he will need a less serious procedure.
“I’ve just been in limbo for so long, I’m just looking forward to an answer. But they don’t have an answer until they go in there and then they find out what’s really going on in the joint.
“I’d rather not have surgery. I would like to avoid it, but if I can’t get better without it, I have to have surgery. To tell you the truth, I wish — obviously that I didn’t have to — but also, just waiting to have surgery and rehabbing to have surgery, it would be nice to just get it done if I have to have it done. The waiting game is kind of getting old.”
Davis appeared primed for a breakthrough season prior to colliding with teammate David Wright on May 10, batting .302/.383/.543 with seven home runs, 25 RBI and a .925 OPS over his first 149 plate appearances. While surgery will hopefully get his career back on track, the 24-year-old first baseman has been told by doctors that his ankle is “probably never going to feel the same.”
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)