Aug 13, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Ike Davis has already been ruled out for the rest of the season, but he is still awaiting word about whether the bone bruise in his left ankle will require surgery.
According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, Davis said before last night’s game that a decision will likely be made by Labor Day in order to ensure that he will have enough time to get ready for the start of next season. While microfracture surgery remains a possibility, Davis is hoping he will need a less serious procedure.
“I’ve just been in limbo for so long, I’m just looking forward to an answer. But they don’t have an answer until they go in there and then they find out what’s really going on in the joint.
“I’d rather not have surgery. I would like to avoid it, but if I can’t get better without it, I have to have surgery. To tell you the truth, I wish — obviously that I didn’t have to — but also, just waiting to have surgery and rehabbing to have surgery, it would be nice to just get it done if I have to have it done. The waiting game is kind of getting old.”
Davis appeared primed for a breakthrough season prior to colliding with teammate David Wright on May 10, batting .302/.383/.543 with seven home runs, 25 RBI and a .925 OPS over his first 149 plate appearances. While surgery will hopefully get his career back on track, the 24-year-old first baseman has been told by doctors that his ankle is “probably never going to feel the same.”
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)