Aug 13, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Lyle Overbay. He’ll replace Xavier Nady, who is expected to miss 4-6 weeks after suffering a fractured left hand on a hit by a pitch during last night’s win over the Mets.
Overbay will receive a prorated portion of the major league minimum salary and is expected to share playing time with rookie Paul Goldschmidt at first base.
Overbay, 34, was released by the Pirates earlier this week after batting .227/.300/.349 with eight homers, 37 RBI and a .649 OPS over 391 plate appearances. It isn’t saying much, but he actually represents something of an improvement over Nady, who was hitting .248/.287/.359 with four homers, 35 RBI and a .645 OPS over 223 plate appearances. While his defense has fallen off a bit this year according to advanced metrics, Overbay is also regarded as a better fielder at first base.
Overbay was originally drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 18th round of the 1999 draft. He batted .271/.357/.391 with four home runs and 29 RBI over 305 plate appearances with Arizona from 2001-2003 before being traded to the Brewers in the Richie Sexson deal.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)