Aug 13, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks have signed Lyle Overbay. He’ll replace Xavier Nady, who is expected to miss 4-6 weeks after suffering a fractured left hand on a hit by a pitch during last night’s win over the Mets.
Overbay will receive a prorated portion of the major league minimum salary and is expected to share playing time with rookie Paul Goldschmidt at first base.
Overbay, 34, was released by the Pirates earlier this week after batting .227/.300/.349 with eight homers, 37 RBI and a .649 OPS over 391 plate appearances. It isn’t saying much, but he actually represents something of an improvement over Nady, who was hitting .248/.287/.359 with four homers, 35 RBI and a .645 OPS over 223 plate appearances. While his defense has fallen off a bit this year according to advanced metrics, Overbay is also regarded as a better fielder at first base.
Overbay was originally drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 18th round of the 1999 draft. He batted .271/.357/.391 with four home runs and 29 RBI over 305 plate appearances with Arizona from 2001-2003 before being traded to the Brewers in the Richie Sexson deal.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)